Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okie dokie, I tried everything on this bracket and only ended up cutting nine welds....... :nonono:
10A03793-742A-478D-A50E-E6888C43B21A.jpeg

The 1/2” belt sander was working great, but overheated after four welds.

The Blair cutters work WAY better than hf cutters! This wore me out though. Laying on my back and holding the drill over my head against that little spring loaded center bit gets really, really tiring.

My grinding wheel worked great too, it’s just noisy as hell.

I had to stop to get cleaned up so I can watch the debate tonight.

I don’t know what the difference is about this side, but it seems quite a bit more difficult than the other side. This is easily the most physically challenging part of working on Booger so far.

Tomorrow night I’ll get the other 14 spot welds on this side.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Sooooooo, no hear from Dave in awhile, huh?

Last Monday I went to the doctor for my regular check up. I’m trying to get my blood pressure under control. So I’ve been prescribed bunches of different meds to knock it down.

The newest took some getting used to. When I would come home from work and sit down, it would zone me right out of here.

Im getting used to it now and will be heading to the garage as soon as I’m done with my prep work.
E2699631-3287-45D6-A25B-440953E85A93.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
I got it removed:nice:. What a son of a gun, geez! I don’t know why the left side was so much more difficult.

Take a look without the brackets. I’m now at the stage to clean up the areas where the spot welds were and figure if I’ll put a support brace up there. I’m not sure I need to weld in an extra brace here. I could just clean all the welds up, weld the edges of the backing plate to the subframes, and paint the area green, kind of make it look like it was factory-ish. What do y’all think?
8765527C-5156-4806-B3BE-13BF50E08FB6.jpeg

Here’s the offending brackets preparing for their new lives at the city dump.
4D7FBA29-FE49-44D2-83AE-40EF516E07C5.jpeg

This one is for John. The pneumatic one is a blue point that I’ve had for a little over 25 years. The electric is from Hf. The collet for the grinding wheels is on the electric, obviously.
39F8088B-3788-4EA8-BD94-0610B91A5AE1.jpeg

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users
My weekend is all about taking a good look at my rear end, what’re y’all up to this weekend?

I’ll do my best to have this stage out of the way by sunday. I’m thinking I might at least get to the stage of coating the entire area with chip guard. I’m a little hesitant to go to the green paint stage because I’m not positive what I intend to do with the upper spring mount area. I may wait till I’m done with ALL the other stuff and have Booger at the shop. There I can put it up on the lift and spray all this area at one time.

I do want to have all the grinding and spot welding done though. Plus the chip guard. Then onto the hard tail.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.