84 Mustang GT cranks, wont fire

Grady

May 8, 2009
I just bought this Mustang about a week ago. I finally had a little spare time so I decided to degrease the engine. Foolishly I neglected to cover my distributor before the shower started and sure enough, after I finished, I let it dry about 20 minutes, went to start it and all I got was cranking and popping.

I let it dry for about and hour and tried it again, and again, cranking, popping, sputtering but no fire. So I hit up google and it brought me here. I read a few posts related to this problem. The number one concensus was that there was water in my distributor, which required a little WD-40 and some de-moisturizing.

So off I went, armed with my trusty can of '40 and some clean rags. I took off the distributor and de-moisturized it. Then pulled off the air cleaner and looked in the carborator. I noticed a pool of dark, thin liquid around the housing at the back of the carb by the 3rd and 4th barrel. So I rolled up a rag and soaked up all the liquid I could get. After this I got back in the car and it fired up instantly, where usually I have to pump the gas a couple times to crank it cold.

Theres no moral to this story, but in case any one winds up with a wet engine on a 5.0 with a carb, this may help you out.

• Sponsors (?)