Suspension 88 GT- trying to diagnose power steering issue

I have a couple issues with the power steering in my '88 GT.

The steering feels a lot tighter than I think it should. When I'm driving, if I turn the wheel the car keeps wanting to go in the direction I turned the steering wheel and not return to center. Also, there is a squeak when I turn the steering wheel, especially if I turn the wheel when the car is stopped.

The previous owner installed a new / reman steering rack and what looks to be a new / reman power steering pump.

When the car was up in the air, I put a 2x4 under each tire, pried up on the 2x4, everything seemed good and tight.

Is there a way to check to see if the power steering pump or the steering rack is the problem? Does anyone have any ideas of what could be causing my issues?

Not sure what you'll be able to tell but I made a YouTube video with the car sitting on the ground and someone moving the steering wheel back and forth.

View: https://youtu.be/lMm_EyOtVGY?si=n-GQ2zN0zEDTi0mP

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure on the bearing cup, it is at the top of the strut but can't remember, I do have a 'magic book' out in the garage.
Look on the bottom of the ball joint, under the control arm, some have a small threaded plug you can replace with a grease zirc and squeeze some grease in but honestly if it's tight and binding it's near the end.
I've tow'd a sht ton of crown vics/grand marques and 1/2 ton pickups with separated ball joints that I bet creeked and complained loudly for a long time before giving up.

When you say the car what in the air, where was it jacked up from?
To check ball joints it has to be lifted from close to the ball joint itself, if the arm hangs at all the pressure from the spring will prevent it from moving.

The return problem can be the alignment.
And the squeak is usually the ball joints or outer tie rods.

With a ball joint press from harbor freight, the ball joints are a fairly easy job on one of these cars.
I'm pretty sure (but check) you can use sn95 ball joints, this way if you goto 95 spindles later they fit correctly with no shims.

SN95 ball joints do not work on Fox spindles as they are too short. Fox ball joints on SN95 spindles require 0.330” of spacer between the spindle and castle nut.

Reactions: 1 user