Engine 89 GT Dies at idle, surging around 1-1.5k while cruising

If you go to the 5.0 tech/how to thread in the tech forum you will see a bunch of info, in there look for head, cam, intake install. You may have to sift through some stuff to get to the part about the upper removal.
This would be a good time to invest in a quality repair manual, I have what I call a 'magic book' it's a ford assembly manual, I think I got it from motor books, do a google search. Get one that is specific to your year.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=1989+mustang+shop+manual

I'm an idiot, I actually found it in the haynes, they don't have the torque specs listed, but I was able to track those down. Thanks for the input on the 'magic book' I was actually looking at one of those exact ones on eBay last night. I'll have to pick it up. Now to go get this intake off and get the new wiring in. I'm hoping to have all of these problems fixed with the new harness, but murphy's law says that it's still going to run like :poo: and I will have to do the o2 sensors as well... Hopefully I'll be able to report back in a few hours, I know it should be less, but this is the most extensive engine work I have ever done!

• Sponsors (?)

Got the intake off, now to swap the harness...

BA88F836-2AE6-43F8-872C-049CBFCF5F56.jpeg

For the orange harness to block ground, I’m having a lot of difficulty with the bolt on the block. It’s in a really tight spot. Can I just clip the old one out and pigtail the harness ground in at the block to firewall ground? Would it be better to splice the wire from the new harness into the old one? It’s pretty funky down around the bolt. I figured since my issue with the old harness was ground related it’d be better to connect to the same screw on the firewall as the block ground.

I hope someone can get back to me soon. Trying to get the intake back on and wrap this up here.

Ok, sorry, I was using my phone earlier and working on the car, so I may not have been clear enough with what I was saying.

1. I clipped off the harness ground (orange wire) where it tied into the old harness with the intention of solder splicing it to the new harness ground. I was worried this may not be a good idea in the event that there is a problem between the splice and where the old ground connects to the block. Is there a way I can check the old, still attached ground wire to be sure a splice would be ok? If I can test the old wire to ground and it is ok, would a solder splice be fine?

2. Where the harness ground wire attaches to the block is giving me trouble. I can't seem to loosen the bolt to remove the old harness ground wire. I've drenched it in penetrating oil and still can't get it to break free. That is when I thought of grounding the harness somewhere else. I figured since it is already pretty close, why not ground the harness using the same screw the block to firewall braided cable grounds to the firewall on. Would this be ok? Is this going to create a future problem when I upgrade to a 200A alternator and have to replace the braided block to firewall cable with 2GA?

3. If it is not recommended to solder splice the harness ground in as stated in 1, and not recommended to share the block's firewall ground point as asked in 2, is there an alternative place I can ground the harness? With the limited work space (can't use breaker bar) I'm worried I wont be able to get the harness ground bolt out to be able to ground the harness in the factory location.

Thank you for all the help!!!

Grounded harness to #8 bolt on lower intake. Torqued to 25lb/ft.

Everything is buttoned back up. Tried to start, only cranks. Some backfiring from tailpipe. Even though I took a picture of distributor alignment before pulling it, I’m guessing my timing is all out of wack. Gonna try to TDC and set timing.

Reactions: 1 user
Set TDC, then timing to ~13 btdc. Idle was really low, like high 300s. Adjusted throttle, currently, after a little gas to get it steady will sit around 650. Broke idle screw off. Still getting some backfiring through intake (detonation??) at start and in 1st and 2nd with surging. 3rd seems to be smooth.
IMG_6361-2.jpeg

In your 1st post, you said this:
29c - insufficient input from VSS/insuf input from programable speedo/odo module

This is the cause of all low speed issues. VSS = Vehicle Speed Sensor.

I am not currently having any issues with stalling when slowing down. The previous owner had the speedo cable disconnected from the trans with the vss unplugged. I think the cable may have seized. I have not ordered a new cable and gears yet. You said all low speed issues, would this be causing the intake backfiring and surging?? Idle is currently fine after getting the car warmed up.

Code 29 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is an electronic sender mounted on the speedo pickup gear on the trans. It works the cruse control for both 5 speed and auto trans cars. The VSS is used to tell the computer to speed up the idle as you slow to a stop. This helps keep the engine from stalling when you slow down for a stop sign or stop light.

I took the car for a much longer test drive after installing the harness. Getting her started still takes a bit and a little gas. Some intake backfiring upon startup with surging and near stalling. Eventually I can hold the throttle steady at around 2k to get her warmed up. After that idle will stay ~650 with no surging. Still lots of intake backfiring and surging in all gears, typically ~1.2-2k. The engine does seem to be running stronger and smoother since the new harness. The other thing I noticed is under acceleration the car basically hits a wall around 4k, power drops out just before, and it really doesn't want to rev beyond that.

A friend suggested removing and cleaning my IAC. Do I need a proper gasket for that, or can I use rtv? I'll have to wait for a gasket or the go ahead for gasket maker before pulling and cleaning. I'm also going to clear the codes and take the car for a diagnostic run to dump codes later today.

Backfiring out the intake is either a valve stuck open or a lean mixture or spark plug wire(s) connected to the wrong cylinder(s). Check compression on all cylinders and then look for vacuum hoses loose, cracked, or misconnected. Check the line for the vapor recirculation system – it is easy to knock loose and not see it when you connect the air pump plumbing. If the vacuum line for the EGR valve and the air pump are cross connected, some very strange things can happen. Check the mass air flow electrical connection and see that it is tight, the same goes for the fuel injection wiring harness connectors up on top of the manifold near the firewall.

Sticking valves: If a intake valve is bent, has a bad spring or is misadjusted, the engine will sometimes backfire through the intake. Use a vacuum gauge connected to any convenient spot on the intake manifold. Run the engine at 1000 RPM & look for 18-21 inches of vacuum with a steady needle. A problem intake valve will make the vacuum gauge needle sweep 5-10 inches.

Lean fuel mixture breaks out into several sub categories:
A.). Vacuum leaks
B.) Air entering the intake without passing through the MAF on Mass Air cars (89-95 models).
C.) Failure of the MAF, BAP/MAP (Baro or Manifold Air Pressure, same sensor, different name), ACT (air charge temp), or ECT (engine coolant temp). These should set a code in the computer.
D.) O2 sensor problems: one or both O2 sensors with low output or bad O2 sensor heater ground. This should set codes 41/91. The O2 sensor heater ground is an Orange wire in the engine mounted fuel injector harness. Ground it to the back of the head or intake manifold.
E.) Leaking exhaust gases from EGR valve at WOT or EGR opening when it should not be open.
F.) Poor fuel delivery due to bad fuel pump, clogged filter or bad fuel pump wiring. Look for low pressure or fluctuating pressure. Standard injector pressure is 39 PSI at idle, with the vacuum line disconnected from the regulator and capped.
G.) Clogged fuel injectors.- see the cylinder balance test below
H.) Fuel injector wiring problems causing injector not to deliver rated flow (dirty or stuck shut injectors).
I.) Computer problems: (computer problems are not common like sensor problems)
J.). ROM has bad data in fuel or timing table. This should also set a code in the computer.
K.) Failure of one or more of the computer's driver transistors for the fuel injectors. No code set on this one. Use a noid test light to test the injector wiring & injector drivers,
L.) MAF calibration off or mismatched to injectors.
M.) ACT or ECT bad. Sometimes the sensors will be off calibration, but not bad enough to set a code. If they falsely read too high a temp, the engine will back off fuel delivery.

The HO firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.
Non HO firing order is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

attachment.php

Vacuum leak due to slipped lower intake manifold gasket...

Ask Nicoleb3x3 about the intake gasket that slipped out of place and caused idle and vacuum leak problems that could not be seen or found by external examination. I don't care what you spray with, you won't find the leak when it is sucking air from the lifter valley. It simply isn't possible to spray anything in there with the lower manifold bolted in place.

photodisplay.jpg

Dump the codes: Codes may be present even if the Check Engine Light (CEL) isn't on.

Dumping the computer diagnostic codes on 86-95 Mustangs

Revised 26-July-2011. Added need to make sure the clutch is pressed when dumping codes.

Codes may be present even if the check engine light hasn’t come on, so be sure to check for them.

Here's the way to dump the computer codes with only a jumper wire or paper clip and the check engine light, or test light or voltmeter. I’ve used it for years, and it works great. You watch the flashing test lamp or Check Engine Light and count the flashes.

Post the codes you get and I will post 86-93 model 5.0 Mustang specific code definitions and fixes. I do not have a complete listing for 94-95 models 5.0 Mustangs at this time.

Be sure to turn off the A/C, and put the transmission in neutral when dumping the codes. On a manual transmission car, be sure to press the clutch to the floor.
Fail to do this and you will generate a code 67 and not be able to dump the Engine Running codes.

Foxbody Diagnostic connector

foxbody-mustang-diagnostic-connector-jpg.586766

Foxbody Diagnostic connector close up view

foxbody-diagnostic-connetor-closeup-view-jpg.586765

If your car is an 86-88 stang, you'll have to use the test lamp or voltmeter method. There is no functional check engine light on the 86-88's except possibly the Cali Mass Air cars.

attachments\58312

The STI has a gray connector shell and a white/red wire. It comes from the same bundle of wires as the self test connector.

89 through 95 cars have a working Check Engine light. Watch it instead of using a test lamp.

attachments\57945

The STI has a gray connector shell and a white/red wire. It comes from the same bundle of wires as the self test connector.

WARNING!!! There is a single dark brown connector with a black/orange wire. It is the 12 volt power to the under the hood light. Do not jumper it to the computer test connector. If you do, you will damage the computer.

What to expect:
You should get a code 11 (two single flashes in succession). This says that the computer's internal workings are OK, and that the wiring to put the computer into diagnostic mode is good. No code 11 and you have some wiring problems. This is crucial: the same wire that provides the ground to dump the codes provides signal ground for the TPS, EGR, ACT and Map/Baro sensors. If it fails, you will have poor performance, economy and drivability problems

Some codes have different answers if the engine is running from the answers that it has when the engine isn't running. It helps a lot to know if you had the engine running when you ran the test.

Dumping the Engine Running codes: The procedure is the same, you start the engine with the test jumper in place. Be sure the A/C is off, and clutch (if present) is pressed to the floor, and the transmission is in neutral. You'll get an 11, then a 4 and the engine will speed up to do the EGR test. After the engine speed decreases back to idle, it will dump the engine running codes.

Trouble codes are either 2 digit or 3 digit, there are no cars that use both 2 digit codes and 3 digit codes.

Your 86-88 5.0 won't have a working Check Engine Light, so you'll need a test light.
See AutoZone Part Number: 25886 , $10
4.jpg

Alternate methods:
For those who are intimidated by all the wires & connections, see Actron® for what a typical hand scanner looks like. Normal retail price is about $30 or so at AutoZone or Wal-Mart.

Reader/dp/B000EW0KHW Equus - Digital Ford Code Reader 3145.
Or for a nicer scanner see www.midwayautosupply.com/Equus-Digital-Ford-Code-It has a 3 digit LCD display so that you don’t have to count flashes or beeps.. Cost is $22-$36.

Order it at Walmart for a better price and free shipping

41P3GQVDSHL._SS270_.jpg

Cylinder balance test

If you have idle or IAC/IAB problems and the engine will not idle on its own without mechanically adjusting the base idle speed above 625-750 RPM, this test will fail with random cylinders pointed out every time it runs. The IAC/IAB must be capable of controlling the engine speed to run in the 1300-1500 RPM range. Playing with the base idle speed by adjusting it upwards will not work, the computer has to be able to control the engine speed using the IAC/IAB.

Warm the car's engine up to normal operating temperature. With the test jumper in test position, start the engine and let it stabilize. It should flash a 10 and then a 4 and maybe an 11. If no 11, then there are other codes that will be dumped.
One of the first tests it does is to open the EGR all the way, this will cause the engine to stumble and almost die. If the engine dies here then you have EGR problems.
To start the cylinder balance test, briefly floor the accelerator past 2500 RPM and let off the accelerator. The engine will stabilize at about 1300-1450 RPM and the cut off the fuel injectors one at a time. The engine speed will drop briefly and the computer will turn the fuel injector for the cylinder under test back on. Then it starts the process for the next cylinder. When it has sequenced through all 8 injectors, it will flash 9 for everything OK, or the number of the failing cylinder such as 2 for cylinder #2. Quickly pressing the throttle again up to 2500 RPM’s will cause the test to re-run with smaller qualifying figures.
Do it a third time, and if the same cylinder shows up, the cylinder is weak and isn’t putting out power like it should. See the Chilton’s Shop manual for the complete test procedure

See
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDXrkKS4jTE
for a visual tour through the process. There is no voice narration so you have to listen carefully for the engine sounds. I posted the link for the benefit of Stangnet members who had questions about how to do a cylinder balance test. I do not own that video and I am not the creator.

If you have idle or IAC/IAB problems and the engine will not idle on its own without mechanically adjusting the base idle speed above 625-750 RPM, this test will fail with random cylinders pointed out every time it runs. The IAC/IAB must be capable of controlling the engine speed to run in the 1300-1500 RPM range. Playing with the base idle speed by adjusting it upwards will not work, the computer has to be able to control the engine speed using the IAC/IAB.

When I originally dumped codes to diagnose, the balance test went fine. Does this mean my IAC is fine? Should I still pull it and clean it?