Electrical 92 LX headlight switch and turn signal switch acting funky

Currently towards the end of my project here on my 92 LX. Over the course of the year I dropped a 5.0 T5 setup in it. Right now I’m in the stages of finishing touches, and just wired my fan up today. Me being me, I decided to see if my gauge lights would turn on. (Now mind you, my front end is off at the moment, there are no bulbs in the headlight harness, if that makes a difference) I flicked the switch to the headlights... and nothing. I heard the relay clicking, but no lights whatsoever. So I kept doing it, and finally realized that they’d only turn on if I flicked the switch on like 3 quarters of the way?? They won’t turn on at the first click of the switch, but there’s a sweet spot between the first and second click of that switch where it’ll get power. I’m wondering could it be the switch that’s faulty itself?? I can’t tell if my headlights work or not, because I don’t have headlights yet. I also decided to see if the turn signals would work. And they don’t. The lights in the dash and the rear will come on, but they won’t blink. The lights will stay stagnant. although the hazards work. Wondering if that could be a bad switch as well? Any advice would help tremendously because I don’t have much knowledge about this part of the car.

• Sponsors (?)

Your headlight switch sounds bad from your description. You may have other issues too. Should have brake lights and turn signals in the rear regardless of switch position.

Reactions: 1 users
Your headlight switch sounds bad from your description. You may have other issues too. Should have brake lights and turn signals in the rear regardless of switch position.
I figured it was too but without another one to plug in and check I wasn’t 100% sure. My brake lights do work, the signals just won’t blink like they should. Right and left signals will just stay lit like reverse light would. But, when I hit the hazard switch, they blink like they should. So I want to go out on a limb and say maybe my multi switch is junk as well.

The gauge light/headlight problem actually ended up being a result of a bad fuse. Didn’t consider that as a possibility considering the lights still came on, but only when that switch was in between its first and second positions. Now they illuminate when they’re supposed to. The only issue I have now is the turn signals won’t flash. Tried fuses, the flasher mounted behind the glove box and no results. All bulbs are currently in and every light comes on when I flick the switch but none of them blink. Read that loose wire on ignition switch could be the issue so I’ll try that tomorrow

There are two flashers, one behind the fuse box, it may not be connected to it but it's back there, also at the bottom of each page there are similar threads that may help find the problem.
Yes, I ended up swapping out my hazards flasher on the fuse panel to my signal flasher behind the glove box for the second time. Just for the fun of it, and sure enough, my turn signals started working. Guess my first try around I didn’t plug it in good enough to give it a solid connection. So, my issues have been resolved. Both relatively simple fixes gave me a world of headaches. Lesson learned, don’t overlook the basics, even if the symptoms say otherwise.

Reactions: 1 user