93 Rear end whine

I have a 93 lx 5.0 with a 4:10 rear that whines in deceleration. Anyone know what the issue could be? I’ve been told 4:10 gears whine but I’m not sure if it’s just the gears.

To my knowledge, that’s the only thing changed in the rear.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't ever remember hearing whine with the 4.10's in my GT back in the day... but it doesn't seem far fetched if it's not gratingly loud... may want to check fluid level and for any leaks... could pop the back cover and check for metal shavings and the general state of it...

And that's about all I remember about rear ends. :chin

Reactions: 1 user
My Saleen does that on decel as well. I only notice it at highway speeds when the radio is off. Around town / slower speeds it does not whine. I installed the original 70K mile 3.55 gears from my Ranger. I struggled getting a good pattern and finally had to split the difference and send it. Since I did not have a "perfect pattern", I feel that is why my gears whine now. It did not do that before with the original 175K worn out parts. At the time, I was on a budget but I wont do used gears again. I have ~35-40K on the install and no issues from the whine. I have learned to live with it.

My Saleen does that on decel as well. I only notice it at highway speeds when the radio is off. Around town / slower speeds it does not whine. I installed the original 70K mile 3.55 gears from my Ranger. I struggled getting a good pattern and finally had to split the difference and send it. Since I did not have a "perfect pattern", I feel that is why my gears whine now. It did not do that before with the original 175K worn out parts. At the time, I was on a budget but I wont do used gears again. I have ~35-40K on the install and no issues from the whine. I have learned to live with it.
I’ve lived with it for a few months but it gets annoying for sure. 4:10 gears with the aod are perfect. I’d get new gears if that will fix the problem.

If the rear end is making noise, there is not much to be done about it, especially if it has been doing it for a while. The gears have already taken a set and any adjustment is probably not going to change anything.
I have built a lot of differentials over the years, probably hundreds of them. I was never able to get a set of Richmond gears to be quiet. Ever. I had no issues with Ford Racing, Strange, Yukon, Motive, US Gear, Moser ect, ect.

• Useful
If the rear end is making noise, there is not much to be done about it, especially if it has been doing it for a while. The gears have already taken a set and any adjustment is probably not going to change anything.
I have built a lot of differentials over the years, probably hundreds of them. I was never able to get a set of Richmond gears to be quiet. Ever. I had no issues with Ford Racing, Strange, Yukon, Motive, US Gear, Moser ect, ect.
So you think it’s the brand of gears that makes the noise?

So you think it’s the brand of gears that makes the noise?
Not necessarily. If the gears were set up improperly, they will make noise. As pointed out previously, if it has been making noise for a while, you can not get it to go away as the gears have already developed a pattern. You either have to live with it or get the differential rebuilt with new gears by someone who knows how to set them up properly.

• Agree
I have a 93 lx 5.0 with a 4:10 rear that whines in deceleration. Anyone know what the issue could be? I’ve been told 4:10 gears whine but I’m not sure if it’s just the gears.

To my knowledge, that’s the only thing changed in the rear.
I have a ZSpec 5speed and Ford Racing 4.10 gears with Ford 75-140, and a bottle of friction modifier with no whines ever.

Last edited:
OK, well not what I was hoppin BUT...
my belief? they screwed up here:

Again, ck 4 lube 1st (type, amount). May B get "the sucker" in there'n drain it all out, try a re-lube.

or pull the cover off to drain'n look.
'decelaration wine' means the wear on the teeth should show on a series of the teeth, partial, back 1/2. May B not all of them, may B not the whole tooth... change fluid 1st, Drive again (always start small cheep. No satisfaction, go up a level - ie 'expert's' look ora tear dwn). If U never did a rear end build pay for 1. They do not set up easy (blueing, hand rotate, try again, etc). AND they hafta B right on the money. Like degreein a cam~

Last edited:
OK, well not what I was hoppin BUT...
my belief? they screwed up here:

Again, ck 4 lube 1st (type, amount). May B get "the sucker" in there'n drain it all out, try a re-lube.

or pull the cover off to drain'n look.
'decelaration wine' means the wear on the teeth should show on a series of the teeth, partial, back 1/2. May B not all of them, may B not the whole tooth... change fluid 1st, Drive again (always start small cheep. No satisfaction, go up a level - ie 'expert's' look ora tear dwn). If U never did a rear end build pay for 1. They do not set up easy (blueing, hand rotate, try again, etc). AND they hafta B right on the money. Like degreein a cam~
Thank you! Any idea on what a rebuild would cost?

Cost is going to depend on the installation charges and here in the mid-South I can get them set up for $250 by a local guy that is really good at it. Would suggest you guy the gears Yukon, grab a master install kit (make sure it has quality bearings like Timken), would highly recommend a solid pinion bearing spacer, and then take it to a local shop that knows how to set them up. See if anyone on here from the NE knows of a good shop that is close to you.

Yukon Gear 8.8 gear sets:

I really like the kits from Ratech and their solid pinion spacer.

You should also look at rebuilding the trac-lok while you are in it and get a good set of clutches. Would recomend the Ford Performance Parts M-4700-C kit and order an extra bottle of friction modifier if the gear oil you use does not already have it in it.

Last edited:
Cost is going to depend on the installation charges and here in the mid-South I can get them set up for $250 by a local guy that is really good at it. Would suggest you guy the gears Yukon, grab a master install kit (make sure it has quality bearings like Timken), would highly recommend a solid pinion bearing spacer, and then take it to a local shop that knows how to set them up. See if anyone on here from the NE knows of a good shop that is close to you.

Yukon Gear 8.8 gear sets:

I really like the kits from Ratech and their solid pinion spacer.

You should also look at rebuilding the trac-lok while you are in it and get a good set of clutches. Would recomend the Ford Performance Parts M-4700-C kit and order an extra bottle of friction modifier if the gear oil you use does not already have it in it.
Nice thank you. Can anyone recommend a shop that can rebuild the rear end in westchester county, NY? Would be great ti gets good shop that can do more than just rear end work. Will need some transmission work for AOD as well.