94 Cobra Nitrous ?

94cobraslow

Jun 18, 2015
tx
ok have installed a nitrous wet kit on my 94 cobra need some help with timing ? i have 2 step colder plug gaped at 32!!!
but the ques is when im pulling timing out do i pull it from the 10deg advantaged stock timing or do i set it the timing to 0deg and pull timing there?
and it starting at a 100 shot and once every thing fine bumping to 150shot

• Sponsors (?)

So im making sure im doing this right dont want to send the intake through the hood. Start the car let it warm up turn it off pull the spout connector out restart the car and pull timing out and once where it needed turn off reconnect spout and start recheck timing right? was told to pull 6 to 7deg timing out for 100 shot and that mean I will be setting at
3deg advanced right?

So im making sure im doing this right dont want to send the intake through the hood. Start the car let it warm up turn it off pull the spout connector out restart the car and pull timing out and once where it needed turn off reconnect spout and start recheck timing right? was told to pull 6 to 7deg timing out for 100 shot and that mean I will be setting at
3deg advanced right?

check with the manufacturer for their recommendation on pulling timing. 6-7 degrees for a 100 shot seems excessive. I used to pull 2-3 out.

Reactions: 1 users
No way you'll have to pull that much timing if running 93 octane. I ran 125 shot with stock 10* without a problem(89' not sure of any difference between a 94?). With a 150 hit I'd drop 2* degrees and went as high as a 175 hit w/ a mix of 93 oct and 99oct. If you buy an aftermarket timing retard you can leave the 10* alone and have it take out your timing(not necessarily the safest because I've seen them fail and you're left with the advanced timing which = bad stuff). My present motor saw a few 125/150 hits and had timing set at 8*. I never had an issue. To be safe at the 100 try 6-8* and as soon as you're done making a pass check the plugs. Go up or down from there.

I used to pull 3 degrees for every 50 hp.. that's what the NOS intructions called for back in the day. I used a timing box, I think it was made by MSD iirc. I had a buddy with a 454 in a Camaro that got greedy with timing, cost him a piston and a cylinder head in one shot.

edit: START with the above, thenmake a pull and look at the burn mark on the plug strap. That will tell you where to go, up or down on timing.

Last edited:
When you are dialed in where you need to be, the timing mark will be in the bend of the plug, like this:

2015-08-25-18-08-40.png

Reactions: 1 user
Well I wrote that up all wrong sry guys! Ok car set at 14deg btc. Was going to put it back to 10deg make a 35 shot hit on stock plugs and stock timing just to make sure everything works! Then I was going to put in 2deg colder plugs gaped 30 and 100shot pull timing from there. What boggles me is when talking about pulling timing form these car ppl are tell me to adjust timing toward tdc so im actually advancing timing! Is this right?

Last edited:
Well I wrote that up all wrong sry guys! Ok car set at 14deg btc. Was going to put it back to 10deg make a 35 shot hit on stock plugs and stock timing just to make sure everything works! Then I was going to put in 2deg colder plugs gaped 30 and 100shot pull timing from there. What boggles me is when talking about pulling timing form these car ppl are tell me to adjust timing toward tdc so im actually advancing timing! Is this right?

No. Wrong. You have to retard timing. Advance it and go boom.

[QUOTE"Boosted92LX, post: 8922143, member: 168157"]No. Wrong. You have to retard timing. Advance it and go boom.[/QUOTE]
Ok so If im looking at the timing marks it adc10''''0''''10''''20''''30tbc. So Im setting. /\ 14deg tbc on timing right now so from what ur telling me im already pulled timing out for a 100 shot

Does this help? put a full mark at 10 BTDC and then count 2 lines to the LEFT as you are looking down from on top. make another 1/2 mark at 6 BTDC. Adjust the timing to 6 BTDC.

BTDC.jpg

Attachments

• 149736d1329888473-93-5-0-dies-when-you-remove-spout-timing_marks2.jpg
    149736d1329888473-93-5-0-dies-when-you-remove-spout-timing_marks2.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,772
Told eveyone timing boggles me for some reason lol ok so let take the base timing on a stock 5.0 it set at 10deg btdc with spout connector out and more to 6deg btdc is morning closer to btdc this is where I thinking im getting lost never mind I pulled a blonde moment I forgot whst atdc stood for lol

Told eveyone timing boggles me for some reason lol ok so let take the base timing on a stock 5.0 it set at 10deg btdc with spout connector out and more to 6deg btdc is morning closer to btdc this is where I thinking im getting lost never mind I pulled a blonde moment I forgot whst atdc stood for lol

go back and read my earlier post until it sinks in. Moving closer to 0 from 10 BTDC is retarding the timing. You will hear the rpms drop.

Reactions: 1 user