95 Cobra Tach not working

We just got a 95 Cobra that had been stored for 5 years or so. It needs many things but an annoying issue it has is the tach does not work. When you turn the ignition switch on, the needle goes to "0" like it is getting power but it does not move further when the engine starts. I had a 94 Cobra 15 years ago and still had a Chilton's 94-98 Mustang repair manual in a storage box. According to the book, the tach is connected with a Red/Yellow and Tan/Yellow wire. Anyone else chase tach problems and have any advice? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I have, and unfortunately it's almost always a bad tach. They don't make them anymore, and you have to hunt around for a used one.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
Few options, make sure you are getting a signal on the tach wire going to the instrument cluster. If you are getting a signal then time to check the flexible circuit board for any breaks. Check the resistance with a voltmeter to make sure there is a good connection. If that is good then the stepper motor is most likely bad. The good new is, you can get one out if a 94-95 GT and pull the stepper motor from it and install it into your cluster.

I've done a few of these over the years to repair for people.

Just as a follow up, I finally got around to the dash after some overheating issues, window regulator, seats, touching up the plastic paint, etc. When I was road testing the work, I also noticed that the odometer didn't work which from what I read seems to be a common issue on SN95 Mustangs. No surprise the plastic gears were falling apart so I replaced them. I could not see any burn marks and everything around the tach looked okay to the eye. When the pod was reinstalled the tach worked. My guess is something was not making good contact and taking it apart and putting it back together must have reestablished contact.