'95 Gt Manual Steering Conversion

Stang9597

Jul 20, 2016
KY
I am swapping a 393w into my '95 GT and I have some problems with my current steering set up.. the power steering pump off of my 5.0 is leaking pretty bad, the boots on my factory rack are shot, and I would have to buy a FRPP bracket to put my power steering pump onto my Windsor block. What do you all think I should do? repair my factory power steering set up or replace it with a manual rack? The car isn't a daily but it will be driven somewhat regularly. Is there a cheaper alternative to a manual rack than flaming river?

• Sponsors (?)

This is a factory rack for an 81 mustang without power steering.

Back in the day it was what we used to put a manual rack in a fox. The sn95 is wider. When i put a bump steer kit on my fox they sent me sn95 ends. In order to adjust the tow i had to chop 3/4 inch off both outer tie rod ends. That leads me to believe that the thread is the same between a fox and an sn95. I believe the extra track width is compensated by longer outter tie rod ends.

That was true with my 89 gt rack....the 82... I have no idea.

Screenshot_20180129-185738.png

Screenshot_20180129-185751.png

With changing to manual steering you may have to make a steering shaft. It really isnt as hard as it sounds. You'll need to hit up amazon for the proper u joint with DD at one end and whatever the spline count is on the rack. ( Mine was 36 spline with 3/4 DD ). The end that goes into the collapsing part of the column is a pointy section of DD with a hole drilled through for the bolt.

So....basically, you have to replace the rag joint with a u joint and replace the factory u joint with a better u joint. The center shaft will need to be replaced with DD 3/4 stock. The new u joints come with set screws but i advise getting them welded on.

That earlier rack may have a different spline for the shaft.

Disclaimer; my rack is a power rack and i had my stock shaft machined to accept the 3/4 DD joint at the rack. I left my factory u joint and stub alone. The stub is DD that slides into the column end.

Screenshot_20180129-192427.png

90sickfox,
So what you are saying is that with some modification a fox manual rack will fit onto my k member. I am running factory front suspension, only mod is lowering springs (lowered about 1.5 inch)

It can be done. I'm running an 03-04 Cobra rack on my fox, so I'm sure it can be done the other way.

On the power steering racks, the inner tie rods can be swapped, so I just changed to fix inner tie rods and it fit like a glove.

Issue will be adapting the steering shaft. Max motorsports makes a fox to SN adapter, but going the other way will require some fab

Do you want manual steering? Cost wise, it is far more economical to fix the power steering. The factory power steering bracket from an SN should bolt right up. Rebuilt pump and rack boots is less than $100.

Kurt

Well also i have to get a bracket to put my p/s pump onto the 351w that is about 80 dollars. And i figured it might clean up the engine bay some.. just a thought. Ive heard as long as you get a true manual rack that the steering is only more difficult at low speeds. It should be a touch cheaper if a mustang2/pinto manual rack will fit. Just wanted some opinions from those with a manual rack and what oem replacements would fit onto my stock k-member