Engine 95 GT stalling issue

95dustang

Aug 19, 2020
Texas
Howdy, my 95 is stalling with the clutch in, or in gear going down the road, seemingly at random, and it also doesn't start sometimes. I have a check engine code, 157, which is MAF sensor. Replaced the MAF, code persists, I'm thinking it might be a wiring issue, I checked all my grounds and they're fine. Another problem is my distributor, which is covered in red dust, which I think may be rust, Worst part is I replaced my distributor cap twice and it still gets covered in rust, or whatever the stuff is. This car is my daily driver and its a little disconcerting to be going down the highway and have the engine just shut off. One thing that may be of note is that when I try to start the car when it stalls on the road (or when it won't start when I try to go to work) is that the tach doesn't show RPMs when the starter engages. It does show RPMs when it wants to start though. Another thing to note is that if i turn the key 3 times to accessory mode it normally starts first try, though yesterday when I was leaving work it didn't. The only thing I can think of doing is replace the distributor but I'm certain that it won't fix my MAF code. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20210305_075737.jpg
    20210305_075737.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 20210305_075752.jpg
    20210305_075752.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Did some research, found out that the distributor pickup may be bad. A lot of symptoms that people state on other forums match mine. Ordered a new distributor from LMR that I'm hoping will fix my problem. As for the MAF, I'm not sure yet. Spring break is coming up so I'm gonna try some things on that idle checklist. Will report back soon.

If you're talking about the surging idle checklist then start at the top and do it step by step, don't be surprised to have more the one problem. There are steps to diagnosing computer cars. Or you could get lucky.
I depend on luck more than skill.

Replaced the distributor, took about an hour and was super easy. Started right up!!! The shaft had a ton of play up and down and turning it by hand, it squeaked and had way too much rust in it. Definitely the problem. MAF code still there, but I have a reliable car now lol