96-01 owners: anybody else get belt slip w/powershift?

fiveofanatic

How to fuel a Mustang:
Founding Member
Aug 12, 1998
Phoenix, AZ suburbs
I've been practicing for our November FFW race, & I get a distinct belt slip sound on the 2-3 powershift. I assume it's because of the sudden rpm decrease once 3rd engages, (the rpm's go up between gears) but I wanted to see if anybody else is getting this.

• Sponsors (?)

Don't know the answer to your question, but I wouldn't worry about it if it only happens during powershifting. If you're running a T-45 still, why are you bothering to powershift? The tranny might now hold up till November if you keep that up.

Curt do you have the updated tensioner and water pump pulley? Ford started doing this on the 99s, its suppose to help with the belt slip problems. I have one on my 96 and I shift over 7k rpms sometimes with no belt slip at all.

O.D. Showtime said:
Don't know the answer to your question, but I wouldn't worry about it if it only happens during powershifting. If you're running a T-45 still, why are you bothering to powershift? The tranny might now hold up till November if you keep that up.
I want to drive the car as fast as possible on the track, so I'll be powershifting...if the tranny goes, the tranny goes. The engine is all stock, & I never powershifted with the stock shifter, so I don't expect any real problems.

5.0's 4 ever said:
Curt do you have the updated tensioner and water pump pulley? Ford started doing this on the 99s, its suppose to help with the belt slip problems. I have one on my 96 and I shift over 7k rpms sometimes with no belt slip at all.
Ya know, I'm not sure. My water pump pulley has the big lip on the outside...is the updated tensioner cast aluminum? I'll have to go look. If they're the updated parts, I'd be surprised.

Pics! heh

h2o:

h2opulley.jpg

tensioner:

tensioner.jpg

From the pics that looks like the updated water pump pulley and you have the metal belt tensioner stop. For some reason you do not have the updated tensioner to along with it though. My old one looks just like the one you have.