96 Cobra, White smoke after heat up

Malevolyn

Dec 7, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Been a few years, Stangnet! :D

Recently I've had a lot of white smoke spewing from my exhaust after the engine warms up. It doesn't have a distinct smell (doesn't smell sweet, doesn't smell like gas, rubber, or plastic). The best I can describe it is just a generic burning smell. As for relevant info:
  • Mobile1 5w30, changed less than 100 miles ago.
  • Recent radiator flush/refill, clamp issue (read: whoops) caused it to empty, so I refilled it again.
  • New wires (to fix hesitation and misfire), installed the weekend before the oil change.
  • There's either still a bubble in my radiator, or something related to the smoke is causing my engine to heat waaaay up, around the A-L area and staying. Possibility of a bubble is still pretty high, though.
My father suspects the valve seals, but I thought I'd ask before I dive in.

• Sponsors (?)

Other than checking for obvious signs of anything burning (exposed wires touching hot metal parts in the engine bay?), it sounds like you need to refill the cooling system properly and burp it accordingly.

Brief overview:

Always refill the cobra engines at the coolant crossover tube (remove 1/4" plug located directly in front of alternator) with the overflow tank cap removed. Drain the radiator (and block if you feel that is necessary). Pour in fresh coolant into the spot where you removed the 1/4" plug.

You will begin to see the overflow tank filling up with coolant. Replace the cap on the overflow when it is full. Continue to fill at the coolant crossover tube location, rev the throttle slightly to get the air bubbles up from the coolant crossover tube. Continue to top it off at the crossover tube and keep eliminating the air bubbles by slightly revving the throttle.

You may need to repeat the burping process (letting engine run with the 1/4" plug removed from the coolant crossover tube) a few times to fully rid the cooling system of any trapped air bubbles.

You'll also want to check the compression of the engine to make sure it's still healthy (and possibly a leakdown test while you're at it). It doesn't sound like a head gasket issue based on what you described, but there should be no reason to smell any "generic burning."

Have you used any solvents or engine cleaners on the engine surfaces recently? :shrug:

I actually have no idea what burning coolant smells like, unless it just smells sweet like when you've got a leak. I'll check my coolant tomorrow and see if there's oil in it and do a compression test when I get the chance. Here's hoping it's just a head gasket. :p Any suggestions on brand? I haven't done much internal work in the past.

Just for reference, is it possible to have coolant in your oil but not oil in your coolant?

Just finished the compression test. All cylinders built up quickly and held, so doesn't seem to be a head gasket. Also discovered something I didn't know was happening, which is water coming from my exhaust. The white smoke seems to be gas, though. Maybe my car is running rich and the water is just residual? Like from a wash or rain or something, or an side effect from the engine running rich.

There's nothing particularly unique about the smoke, it billows out at a fairly constant rate and has been doing so for a while, making it less and less likely to simply be standing water in my exhaust. There's been a fairly constant breeze blowing down here in Florida, so I have no idea if or where it lingers, but it certainly doesn't travel 30 feet straight out.

From what I can tell, the car seems to be running fine. There's been no noticeable power loss, and it starts strong. However, after reinstalling the plugs it's been starting a little weaker. I'll take it on a short drive today and see if there's any hesitation. I suppose I could just drive it up to Discount Auto or something and get them to run a quick computer scan and see what it says.