96 Mustang GT Gauge Cluster Replacement with Unknown Aftermarket Speedhut Cluster (Information Needed)

Pobilla

Sep 20, 2022
Maryland
Hello
I have a 96 GT Vert and the stock cluster works perfectly fine. However, the car came with this aftermarket cluster, and I know basically nothing about it. The previous owner said it was a cobra cluster but I can tell it isn't. I have no idea what year it is from, and can find no information on it online. It also has 3 wires coming out of it, which are not on the OEM one. I know it must be a pre-98 because it still has the mechanical odometer. I am pretty sure since my car is a 96, it doesn't have the chip that will trigger PATS, but would love confirmation on that. Also, I have no idea what the 3 wires coming out of it would go to. One wire bundle comes out of each of the 3 sections that you can pop out of the cluster.

I think it looks sick and would love to put it in (I already replaced the odo gear and put in LEDS since I had extras anyways), but I have no clue if it is compatible or not.

Any information about this cluster or advice on installing it would be welcome. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7071(1).jpg
    IMG_7071(1).jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_7072(1).jpg
    IMG_7072(1).jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Those are overlays from speedhut. Those wires coming out of it plug into a speedhut “switch/inverter” which then taps into the lights in your car, 12v source, and ground. I believe you will need to get the switch/inverter. The switch/inverter controls the color, green /blue, that’s what mine is anyways, and controls dimming. This will connect to your light switch to turn them on, and off with the rest of your lights.
I have speedhut overlays in my GT, and have had them for years without issues. I went with them because they did custom colors, numbers, ect… I wanted silver to match my auto meter ultra lite silver face gauges. The other thing I liked is that they slide over the needles this way it makes for easy install, and don’t have re calibrate the needles.
Hope this helps a bit.
I took a pic of the hookup from the speedhut instructions, and attached it.
F0C3E34A-D150-44A2-ACF5-CEE3B8C62045.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Those are overlays from speedhut. Those wires coming out of it plug into a speedhut “switch/inverter” which then taps into the lights in your car, 12v source, and ground. I believe you will need to get the switch/inverter. The switch/inverter controls the color, green /blue, that’s what mine is anyways, and controls dimming. This will connect to your light switch to turn them on, and off with the rest of your lights.
I have speedhut overlays in my GT, and have had them for years without issues. I went with them because they did custom colors, numbers, ect… I wanted silver to match my auto meter ultra lite silver face gauges. The other thing I liked is that they slide over the needles this way it makes for easy install, and don’t have re calibrate the needles.
Hope this helps a bit.
I took a pic of the hookup from the speedhut instructions, and attached it.
F0C3E34A-D150-44A2-ACF5-CEE3B8C62045.jpeg
Gotcha. Thanks a ton for all the information. I was having a lot of trouble finding anything online. I think I will go ahead and try to throw it in and wire it up.