97 V6 Swap To 01v6..help

Tatrabbit

Feb 18, 2018
Southwest PA
Ok. 97 v6 dead, aquire low mileage 01 v6. Told have to make motor look like 97 to the comp. So have to use 97: wiring harness, cam sensor, fuel system. So can't just switch fuEl rails because heads are machined different... there is way more to thexcept 01 than the 97. So do I change intake, heads, everything on top over to 97... also heard I have to change cam. Will 97 heads work on this 01?

• Sponsors (?)

I don't have a V6 so I have nothing to compare to. The diagrams in the Ford service manual does not show the kind of detail to answer these sort of questions. It would help if you posted pictures.

Also include pictures of the original fuel rail.

I don't have a V6 so I have nothing to compare to. The diagrams in the Ford service manual does not show the kind of detail to answer these sort of questions. It would help if you posted pictures.

Also include pictures of the original fuel rail.
Fuel rails are cmpletely different. Injected in different places and the 97 has a feed and return 01 has just a feed. Only way i see to do it would be to change whole top end. Heads and all, I believe cam wold have to be swapped too. But... I don't know if heads and intake will match up. Hate to tear down a good running engine if it's pointless . I don't think pics will help, intake on 01 covers up everything. But will try.

Another option is to add an external return style regulator to the 2001 fuel rail.

Reminder that something will have to be done about the split port intake as well. Likely some kind of delete kit.

I believe the heads will interchange but it might be better if someone more familiar with the V6 chimes in here.

Last edited:
Another option is to add an external return style regulator to the 2001 fuel rail.

Reminder that something will have to be done about the split port intake as well. Likely some kind of delete kit.

I believe the heads will interchange but it might be better if someone more familiar with the V6 chimes in here.
Seems you are the only one with any advice... I do appreciate it. I did find a post on another forum that said to change cam, heads, intakes, wiring harness, cam sensor and have to change the end of trans cover because the 01 is digital and the 97 is magnet for speedometer. It makes sense, I just wonder if those heads will match up. But I'm also wondering how hard it would be to put a carb on.... I know how that works...lol. I have built and rebuilt other cars but never anything with all this electronic ... stuff. Again I thank you for your time and help.

Just wondering. Does this car have to pass inspection?

I'm also having problems understand that if you have the skill set to convert to a carb, then how hard could it be to put an external fuel pressure regulator on a 2001 motor.

I also believe the heads would interchange as well. But if this were my project I likely would have the heads checked out by a professional machine shop.

Last edited:
Just wondering. Does this car have to pass inspection?

I'm also having problems understand that if you have the skill set to convert to a carb, then how how could it be to put an external fuel pressure regulator on a 2001.

I also believe the heads would interchange as well. But if this were my project I likely would have the heads checked out by a professional machine shop.

We have mechanical inspection, brakes, tires, frame (lots of.rust issues here) but no emissions inspection.
I have the skill set to get a car with a carb running but converting it over I haven't a clue. Rebuilt 74 Nova in high school, then had a crown vic I raced at the local quarter mile oval for years. If it has a carb and distributer I can usually make it run. Its been about 15 years since I did anything like this. Don't understand all the computer stuff. I am at the point that I am thinking of selling the 01 engine and looking for a compatible engine. Not really concerned about the horse power difference, was just wanting to get away from the 97 headgasket problems.
Unfortunately we don't have a reputable shop within 100 mIles from here, at least that I have found. Even the Ford garage has a bad rep. I did here there are custom fuel.rails being made for this swap... leads me to believe there would be a swap kit... but I have yet to find either.