99 GT crankshaft key

UncleA

Feb 11, 2023
Trying to remove my car's crank key. It is being a pita! It goes thru a metal plate that is on the inside of the timing cover. Can I get it out without removing the timing cover? It is lifting straight up and that plate's notch is blocking it from going all the way up and out. The key is so seized it doesn't rock or front up/back down and out. The whole key lifted up, evenly and is now prevented from going up more by whatever is in the timing cover. Any advice?

• Sponsors (?)

I kroil'd it. Didn't work. Would a torch on it damage anything? The seal is already out. I think there is no other plastic or rubber to worry about. Would heat to make the key red damage the crank?

You should explain to yourself (or us) why you are removing the woodruff key in the first place?
Without removing the cover, you will have hell to pay trying to get it reinstalled
You remove them with a small chisel and a kitchen hammer (cover off)
Use no heat as that will not help IMO
The key should be a half-moon shape (Woodruff) and as you start hitting it with the chisel, it starts to be forced up and out
Sometimes it is easier to hit down on one side of the key and that forces the other side up
Then you can remove it easier from the raised up side
Good luck