A Must Have!

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah it's actually cheaper to buy a whole new fixture than piecing a ballast and sockets together on a 2x4 :D

Does the original one 4Jenna posted have the bulb inside a plastic case or anything protective? When these bulbs break they shatter glass everywhere. They make clear protective sleeve tubes to install over them to keep the broken glass contained.

I have a double bulb unit that's out, looks to be the ballast. They want $15.97 just for the ballast. I can buy the entire unit for $20 minus the bulbs which I already have, done deal. I may buy 2. Need to burn some retnas.

My driver just handed me this. The 3rd link I posted earlier. Woot!!

33a25dbe.jpg

I need to find more time in my day to do cool stuff like this, I barely find time to work on the car...yet alone make cool DIY tools!

Yes the light I have is shatter proof

Well, I used my new light for real for the first time tonight. The minivan had a headlight out, and the Fairlane is in the garage, so I had to do it in the driveway. So I pulled out my handy new light and hooked it to the hood and had no trouble at all changing the headlight.

It was great!

Thanks Chris for the idea for this light! I love this thing!

Well, I used my new light for real for the first time tonight. The minivan had a headlight out, and the Fairlane is in the garage, so I had to do it in the driveway. So I pulled out my handy new light and hooked it to the hood and had no trouble at all changing the headlight.

It was great!

Thanks Chris for the idea for this light! I love this thing!

What did u use for arms to wrap around the hood?

heh, this is when you guys see how ghetto i am ....

6" mending plates. The hole in the end of the mending plate fits the 1/4" threaded rod perfectly. Nuts on both sides hold it in place. The mending plate fits just right in a garden hose which is used to protect the paint on the car. Then I bent it to about 90* where it makes sense for my hood.

The rubbery attribute of the hose also helps it not slide when the hood is up. A 1/4" ID fuel line on the threaded rod is used to protect the under side of the hood.

I'll do a write up of it with pics and stuff eventually.

Another small update, and another reason why this light is so useful! You can use this thing in any maintenance situation!
I am working night shift, got home Friday night around 1am. Got a hair up my ass and decided to do my trans service on my F250 (I had purchased the filters/fluid earlier in the week)

Any how I grabbed the light, hooked one arm on a running board, and stretched it across the under side of the truck and the other arm actually reached the other running board (so on underside of truck from driver to pass side)

It was great having both hands free, or not having a flashlight propped up somewhere falling every 10min haha. It was brighter under there than if it was daytime haha!

I love doing tranny services. I always put a catch pan under there, so I get at least one quart of tranny fluid in it. But it doesn't matter what you do, at least 3 quarts of transmission fluid are going to end up on the floor.

Kurt