Progress Thread AC compressor prob

Magnet86

5 Year Member
Jul 21, 2018
Hagerstown, MD
Hello everyone:

I am having trouble with the AC on the 86GT but before I go into that, has anyone rebuilt or resealed a6p148a? I completely disassembled the original compressor from my car. Right down to the pistons. There is some staining and rough spots inside but the thing wasn't locked up and moved fine. Its not perfectly clean and before I reassemble it I want to get some opinions. Might be ready for the recycle bin but who knows. Here's some pics:
AC part 2 002.jpg

AC part 2 003.jpg

AC part 2 005.jpg

AC part 2 004.jpg

A little rough to be sure but I can clean some more. But if the parts don't seal or bang around, might not be worth it. I suppose I can reassemble it and check pressure with a manifold gauge set and rotate the shaft by hand. It wasn't bound up but managed to leak at the body seam when recharging two years ago. And could have been a bad shop job too. I have a few reseal kits and a spare compressor that hasn't been opened or converted to R134a. Thoughts, please and thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

A lot of that can be cleaned up, but the main seal is going to be made between the seals on the Pistons and the bores. I can’t see the condition of the bores in your pic but that will be the main decision maker on if that is junk or not. Are those bores smooth and free of nicks and corrosion and other damage?

Last edited:
The bores are surprisingly smooth but may need a little cleaning. I was wondering about the seals also. And the center bearings. If PAG oil lubricates everything inside they should be fine. I don't have any replacement piston seals just yet although the look good. I'll snap some pix of the bores soon for posting.

I just opened my compressor and found everything was oil covered and shiny and clean, other than some minor corrosion in one spot

That should clean up easy.

the piston seals don’t appear to be in the rebuild kits I’ve purchased from custom air
834E236A-8763-4C2A-9500-9141F046B12D.jpeg

The bores on my compressor look good and feel very smooth although its hard to see in the photo. The rest of the internal surfaces should clean up alright.
AC part 3 001.jpg

AC part 3 002.jpg

Since it will be super hot here this week, might make a good inside project to reassemble the compressor and see how it goes. I'll start on the other spare and post some photos of it later this week.

Reactions: 1 user