Afr165 On A 306 With B Cam

Sfv50h

Apr 7, 2014
California
i ran across a man selling a 306 with af 165 heads on he wants $300 for the long block or 1200 for the block with heads no manifold or fuel ral or injecters what you guy think also the car has no engine harnes..is that a good price i know af heads are around 1,200 They are about 3 years old good deal or not any input will be great tanks

• Sponsors (?)

The long block INCLUDES heads.

I think you meant to say $300 for the short block and $1200 with the heads and cam?

The cam is junk IMO. The price otherwise sounds really good if the internals are new-ish and not original --or-- are really low mile with documentation to prove it.

If you have to tear into the block to replace/rebuild internals then you can accomplish the same thing on your own with a larger set of used heads and a better cam.

As a package, the price is not bad at all so long as you don't have to do anything to it.

OEM style injectors and fuel rails don't cost that much. A used and INTACT harness can be spendy and an A9L EEC is either feast or famine but will cost you around $100 for a working used one.

You can build your own harness if you possess the necessary skills.

If it is in fact, a 306 then at least the pistons and rings have been replaced. You will need to confirm this and find out how many miles are on the block. Plan on doing at least a cold compression test to check the health.

Like I said already, if you have to tear into that block for any reason then IMO the package is not worth it. You can get REALLY close to that by rebuilding a junkyard block for about the same money and KNOW what the internals are exactly. I come across used aluminum heads like AFR, TFS, and Edelbrock, fully assembled for between 900 and 1000 dollars.

Reactions: 1 user
He said its about 4 years old and had it on his supercharged fox he said he only put around 2,000miles a year

Thanks alot.

I think you meant to say $300 for the short block and $1200 with the heads and cam?

The cam is junk IMO. The price otherwise sounds really good if the internals are new-ish and not original --or-- are really low mile with documentation to prove it.

If you have to tear into the block to replace/rebuild internals then you can accomplish the same thing on your own with a larger set of used heads and a better cam.

As a package, the price is not bad at all so long as you don't have to do anything to it.

OEM style injectors and fuel rails don't cost that much. A used and INTACT harness can be spendy and an A9L EEC is either feast or famine but will cost you around $100 for a working used one.

You can build your own harness if you possess the necessary skills.

If it is in fact, a 306 then at least the pistons and rings have been replaced. You will need to confirm this and find out how many miles are on the block. Plan on doing at least a cold compression test to check the health.

Like I said already, if you have to tear into that block for any reason then IMO the package is not worth it. You can get REALLY close to that by rebuilding a junkyard block for about the same money and KNOW what the internals are exactly. I come across used aluminum heads like AFR, TFS, and Edelbrock, fully assembled for between 900 and 1000 dollars.[/quote]
Yeah he said thats its about 4 y

He said its about 4 years old and had it on his supercharged fox he said he only put around 2,000miles a year

Thanks alot.

Yeppers... if the block and internals are good to go and you don't have to replace anything then I think it's a pretty good deal for an otherwise turn-key motor.

Reactions: 1 users
4-years old and had it in his supercharged Fox....

Go over that block really well for cracks across the mains and the lifter galley. Otherwise, you might have just bought yourself a flower planter.

I'd pass to be honest with you. I had a bro buy a long block from another friend. Motor was supercharged and the friend said he wanted to part the car out. Long story short. My friend stripped down the motor and sent the block to the machine shop who called back a few days later with bad news. Magnafluxing the block found a split all the way down the middle of the block. Trash! He just reused all internals and found a seasoned block to put everything in. It all worked out in the end I guess.

i would prefer to see an engine run before i buy....but thats just me...unless you were planing on refreshening it from the beginning...

Sitting for 4 years... I would pass. Cylinder walls are most likely nice and rusty and it would need to be gone through. Id also do valve seals on the heads as there is a good chance they are also junk

Sitting for 4 years... I would pass. Cylinder walls are most likely nice and rusty and it would need to be gone through. Id also do valve seals on the heads as there is a good chance they are also junk

Also has me wondering it it's already out of the car and sitting after only 4-years and 2,000-miles, if he hasn't split the block or somehow damaged it at some point and is now looking to dump it?

Who goes to all that trouble to rebuild and engine (including pistons), add a set of aluminum heads to it, only to pull it after such a short time?