Another cracked Intake!

Hi All,

I took me car to Ford since I was having trouble starting it the other day and don't have time it sort it our myself and it turns out the Cam Sensor is screwed up and a couple of plugs are reporting a miss fire :notnice:

So i was glad to hear the found the fault but then came the shocker yep as put in the title turns out the intake cracked and is leaking :jaw: At least it explains why I had been loosing anti-freeze but was not able to find where from since it not running on to the floor yet. Its going to cost me around $2100 for them to fix everything :(

At least they fixed my clutch squeaking for free :rolleyes:

Just sharing and reminding you all to look out for loss of anti-freeze and signs of cracked intake :)

• Sponsors (?)

man thats insane my buddy bought a brand new 2v modular from a ford dealer here in the crate for 1800. its a ford mustang the dealers are not the only places that can work on them. it s a FORD they make these cars down the street from me.

I know I would normally take it to somewhere a bit less pricey but I wanted Ford to look at the starting issue and its a good thing they did cause they found the cracked intake.

Also I like the fact if something is not right or it breaks again within the warranty period then I can take it back to be fixed.

Maybe the Cam Sensor was causing some of the random pinging I was getting that I was not able to tune out with my Predator Tuner.

Br

Oh it just gets better!

So I agree with anyone that stays stealer-dealers are useless! :mad:

Ford told me my car was ready so I went to pick it up on Thursday morning and was excited to see how she runs well,, when I jump in and start it up the CEL light comes on straight away so I plugged my Predator in to read the code and see I am throwing a 'Cam Sensor circuit fault' and of course that is one on the things they changed. I went back in side and asked the service guy why i am throwing a code when they have had my car for 3 days I didn't tell him I read the code. They took it back and checked it he came back about 20 min later said they forgot to clear the code I was like oh, ok! so I go to start it and it starts missing again when I turn it over the with out touching the gas peddle it just does a kind of back fire and doesn't start unless I push the gas down. So I go back in side and have words with the guy again and he send out his techs so I can show them what's going on. They take the car back in and are messing about trying to figure out what it is talking about IAC ect. :shrug::nonono:
They asked me to come back there and try starting it for them since they couldn't get it to play up, and I did 3 or 4 time and it missed all but once, then the service manager guy wanted to try it and jumped in and sure enough after watching me start it did the same this for him a couple of times.

So now they are still trying to fix it on their coin since they told me it was fix and clearly its not.

Hopefully they will get it figured out today so i can get ride of the rental car POS. :rolleyes:

Sorry for the dribble.

keep you posted.

I've dealt with good and bad dealerships. No way would I make an across-the-board generalization that dealerships are bad.

I've also dealt with plenty of small independent shops. I wouldn't endorse them all equally, either. Some are good, some are ripoff joints.

If you don't like your current dealer, find a different one. You might actually find, as I did, what you thought was merely mediocre service was actually stellar compared to the way some shops operate.

Keep in mind the tech is pressured to fix the problem ASAP and get the car back to the customer. That sometimes has a tech replacing the most obvious offender and not realizing more than one part was faulty before returning the car to the customer. It's not because they are lazy or stupid, IMHO.

But yeah, I've dealt with some dealer shops where the mentality was all customers are stupid so just take their money and do the bare minimum. I don't go to those dealers anymore.

Hi 40oz,
I was just a bit frustrated with the dealer when I wrote yesterday and actually agree with your comments :D

They fixed it and so far so good. Turns out the Alternator was faulty apparently a coil was shorting out and causing the car to loose spark to several plugs 3 and 6 on start up I think that's what he said but i could be wrong which caused the miss fire on start up.

I will let them off this time they spent two extra days to find it an fix the problem at their own labor cost, of course I had to shell out 220 + tax for the replacement.

Hi svttech76,
Good to see you back in the forum I haven't seen you post in a while must be keeping busy or i haven't been keeping up with all the posts :D

I was shocked when they told about the leak, but I had been loosing coolant for some time and never figured out where it was going since there was never a puddle on the floor.:notnice:
Anyway the dealer charged me $1265 labor for the initial work and the 1R3Z-9424-AAA MANI-Kit was $862 plus seals, thermostat, anti-freeze which really blows since I only had the coolant flushed the week before :rolleyes: they had the car for 3 days plus 2 days to find the miss fire that it went in for in the first place.

Hopefully it will be ok now.

Hi 40oz,
I was just a bit frustrated with the dealer when I wrote yesterday and actually agree with your comments :D

They fixed it and so far so good. Turns out the Alternator was faulty apparently a coil was shorting out and causing the car to loose spark to several plugs 3 and 6 on start up I think that's what he said but i could be wrong which caused the miss fire on start up.

I will let them off this time they spent two extra days to find it an fix the problem at their own labor cost, of course I had to shell out 220 + tax for the replacement.

Hi svttech76,
Good to see you back in the forum I haven't seen you post in a while must be keeping busy or i haven't been keeping up with all the posts :D

I was shocked when they told about the leak, but I had been loosing coolant for some time and never figured out where it was going since there was never a puddle on the floor.:notnice:
Anyway the dealer charged me $1265 labor for the initial work and the 1R3Z-9424-AAA MANI-Kit was $862 plus seals, thermostat, anti-freeze which really blows since I only had the coolant flushed the week before :rolleyes: they had the car for 3 days plus 2 days to find the miss fire that it went in for in the first place.

Hopefully it will be ok now.

Yeah for some reason the kit ford sells to the dealers for replacements is so much more expensive then the ford racing kit.

Well at least it is fixed now.. feel free to post the tech comments on the bill if there is a description of what he did.. Sometimes the writers dumb the comments down and take out any useful info that could have told us what caused what.

Hi svttech76,

So they wrote on the service note that the;

Cam Sensor Inoperative, Spark Plugs Fouled, Intake MAIFOLD/Thermostat housing leak, Thermostat sticking, Engine performance test, power balance test, pin point test, CK Codes, and of course removed and replaced said parts and retested, road test.
This one cost me $2385.

After I told them it was still doing it they wrote on the second service note;

Alternator Field Coil Shorted
CK Wiring, CK all oxygen sensors, CK PCM circuit, CK charging system and wiring, Injector f;ow test and wiring, Replaced Alternator and retested, road test.
This one cost me $250

What is an Engine performance test and Power balance test?

I piad for the intake stuff first the big one, then when the miss fire wasn't fixed i made them take it back in and fix it when they found the real fault I paid fo the Alternator only.

Yes I am learing very quickly about the stang and would normally do things myself but with a miss fire I just didn't have time to do it so I put it into Ford.

Hi svttech76,

So they wrote on the service note that the;

Cam Sensor Inoperative, Spark Plugs Fouled, Intake MAIFOLD/Thermostat housing leak, Thermostat sticking, Engine performance test, power balance test, pin point test, CK Codes, and of course removed and replaced said parts and retested, road test.
This one cost me $2385.

After I told them it was still doing it they wrote on the second service note;

Alternator Field Coil Shorted
CK Wiring, CK all oxygen sensors, CK PCM circuit, CK charging system and wiring, Injector f;ow test and wiring, Replaced Alternator and retested, road test.
This one cost me $250

What is an Engine performance test and Power balance test?

yeah that's service writer speak does not really tell me much..

I hate when I write a nice story about what was the cause and what was done to repair the problem and the writer when putting it into the computer turns it into something that does not explain anything or worse does not make sense.