Another Newbie here!

dmschuler

Feb 29, 2020
Akron, NY
Hello everyone!

I'm going to look at a '78 Mustang II w/302 tomorrow. Not quite sure what to expect, but the price is right. Well, at least for now,

One of my first cars in high school (mid-1980's) was a 1974 Mustang II with a 4 cyclinder. Bought it for $150. Guy told me that I absolutely cannot put it on the road - it's for parts only. Sure... I registered and drove it for almost a year. real POS :)

Few years later, my Father gave me a 1976 Mustang II with a 302. I loved that car. kept it until the mid 1990s, and then kids came along.

I've been looking for another for some time, so I'm excited to see this one. I expect floor board and quarter plan rust/rot. Engine & tranny were rebuilt at some point.

Any suggestions on focus areas for when I check it out tomorrow?

Thanks,
Doug

• Sponsors (?)

Come on in, we don't bite.

Things to look out for:

Vinyl top cars WILL have roof rust, even Texas/Arizona cars.

Rust in the cowl: (surface is okay and common, though a bit of a bear to address, it's rot/cancer there you'll want to avoid).

Rust in the rear quarters: (Summit and Jegs actually carry repair panela now).

Motor mounts: replacement V8 motor mounts aren't available new anymore, PM me or another active II owner, and we'll get you in touch with a guy in Canada that makes rebuild kits for them should you need them.

Rust in general: 70s cars rust worse than cars built in any other decade, something about the steel used. I'm a 70s car junkie (Two Capris, three Mustang IIs, a '75 T-bird, and a '75 Chevy pickup over the years) so this is a demon I've fought over and over.

Fuel leaks from the plastic auxiliary gas tank inside the left rear quarter panel. (Some guys have had luck repairing these, others, such as myself, delete them and install a 4/6 cylinder fuel neck).

Bad fuel sending units or rusty gas tanks: (Spectra makes replacement parts for both!)

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, it was a long day at work and I'm a few beers in. Hopefully @LILCBRA @2Blue2 @Enzio @429MII @IIGood and a few of the others will stop by to say hello and welcome you, as well as provide more info. Welcome to the site, and make sure to poke around in the II-specific forum, we've got a lot of info, and about a dozen fairly active posters, as well as a few more that show up from time to time.

Welcome to Stangnet! :)

I think you've got a pretty good handle on where to look from what I've read. Floorboards will most likely need attention if it's a northern car, so I'd say be prepared to see some bad floors and most likely quarters as you've mentioned. I think something else that hasn't been mentioned is to try and take a close look at the wiring. These cars are getting old enough that the wiring may have issues aside from what previous owners may have done to them over the years. Other than that I'd say it depends on your level of dedication or desire to have another II and what you're willing to work on/have repaired. Luckily they're starting to receive some love from a few different distributors and aftermarket parts aren't near as scarce as they used to be, but you still may be tasked with fabricating this or that in attempts to update and/or keep it on the road. Best of luck and keep us updated!!

Reactions: 1 users
Welcome!
Great little cars, and a pretty solid following. You will find much good information and helpful members here!
front inner fender rust, spare tire well, floors, I lucked out and found a rust free example,..and then cut it up...er...ya.. so keep looking they are out there.
A great driving car in my opinion, and quite unique these days as they are getting rarer to find good ones.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, Unfortunately this one had too much rust - body was pretty far gone. Several mods on it through the years as well. I'd be looking at significant amounts of work. I passed on this one.

But thanks every for such a warm welcome! I appreciate that and the advice. I'll keep looking, because I really did enjoy driving the '76 with 302.

Welcome aboard @dmschuler!

Too bad it didn't work out; it's always nice to see another II on the road. I don't own any IIs any more, but the first two Mustangs I owned were IIs...a '77 Ghia which was my daily, and a '76 Cobra II that was intended to be a project car which unfortunately never panned out. The Ghia had to come off the road and I ended up getting a newer Mustang that could be a bit more reliable for me. If all the stars lined up just right or if I hit it big in the lottery, I'd get into another II. I've definitely got a soft spot for those little ponies.

The whole crew here is very helpful and it's a great site overall. Hope to see you around!

Reactions: 1 user