Anybody running a cam with their Aode without a stall?

ga94gt

May 17, 2007
Ringgold GA
I was just curious if anybody is running a cam in their Aode car without a stall? If so which one and did you have any idle issues, because I have been told that any cam matched with our automatic will not idle and work well without a aftermarket stall.

I was told this by Ed Curtis, and Rick Anderson. I was just seeing if anybodyelse has had any luck with maybe the Steeda #19 or any other cam.

I know I would be better off with one but I really dont want one. Any info would be helpful.

Garrett

• Sponsors (?)

I was just curious if anybody is running a cam in their Aode car without a stall? If so which one and did you have any idle issues, because I have been told that any cam matched with our automatic will not idle and work well without a aftermarket stall.

I was told this by Ed Curtis, and Rick Anderson. I was just seeing if anybodyelse has had any luck with maybe the Steeda #19 or any other cam.

I know I would be better off with one but I really dont want one. Any info would be helpful.

Garrett
Just my personal experience......I did the TFS H/C/I and there WERE issues that were helped with a tune and a upgrade to a 2800 stall......then upgraded to a 3400 stall......Even IF you don't have the idle issues if you cam and head that car with a aode you need a stall to bring it off the line hard....my 60's were a joke until I went with the edge stall......good luck and Im sure Paul and Wes will chime in...

Thanks man, this car is a street car and will only see the track 2-3 times a year that is why I really dont want a stall.

as well as mine....3 years and only been to the track 5 times with it.........once you start adding go fast parts to the engine....you HAVE to follow it up .....trans...gears.....it's all your call but to have the engine raise the HP and have the trans drain it...........keep me up on this build...
Will

I have an Edge 9.5 inch converter 3300 stall and drive my car daily on the street, no problems whatsoever..
following your project you shouldn't be to concerned about the cam, if your going to do heads intake and everything else your going to have to tune anyway...

I have an Edge 9.5 inch converter 3300 stall and drive my car daily on the street, no problems whatsoever..
following your project you shouldn't be to concerned about the cam, if your going to do heads intake and everything else your going to have to tune anyway...

How do you like that 9.5....I've got the same with a 3400 stall........absolutely love it......

so wait... what are u guys doin for #s? i would say easily in the 300s, no? and all u have is a stall converter on a stock aode that isnt beefed up?

man this gives me hope! LOL

I just replaced my stock aode this past week.........the stock aode is not that great in stock form.....mine did not stand up for too long....but there are options...I just ran into a good deal on a built aode.... but many swap to the 4r70W and they will hold better........I want to take it to the track to see what it does....the last time out the trans was slipping bad and I'm hoping it cost me 3 tenths...lol

so you are saying a tune will take care of all the problems i talked about above?

Don't confuse what a tune will do for you
and
What mods to an aode will do for you

A tune will take care of drivability issues and can firm up your shifts

A higher stall TC will allow your cam to work with the aode
as opposed to work against it like Ed C told you.

If you are gonna hot rod your Stang and insist on running an aode .......

You are pissin into the wind without a higher stall TC :Word:

Even Me :eek: A die hard stick trans man :banana:

I know that kinda stuff is the mostest kind of importance ;)

Grady

Have I been mistaken about higher stall TC's these past few years :shrug:

It was my understanding that the determination of the correct stall was a function of engine peak torque :Word:

In other words you want the engine to reach its useable horsepower range before the TC reaches its stall speed :)

The best performance is obtained with a TC that has a stall speed slightly higher than the rpm of the engine when it starts to produce its strongest useable power :nice:

In general terms the stall speed selected for the TC would be about 500 to 700 rpm below peak torque. :nice:

Don't our engines generally reach peak torque around 3500 rpm :shrug:

Don't confuse what a tune will do for you
and
What mods to an aode will do for you

A tune will take care of drivability issues and can firm up your shifts

A higher stall TC will allow your cam to work with the aode
as opposed to work against it like Ed C told you.

Iphiniti, I don't have dyno numbers but I went 13.09 with a 1.80 sixty feet.
maybe some more timing was running base 10* total 33*and a underdrive crank pulley i would see high 12
my tranny has been rebuild with Performance Automatics internals and shift kit, if I would do it all over again I would swap a 4R70W not only are they stronger but they have the wider ratio gearset for faster accelaration.

Drakesdad, lets just say I'm very happy with it ... what is your setup ??

Iphiniti, I don't have dyno numbers but I went 13.09 with a 1.80 sixty feet.
maybe some more timing was running base 10* total 33*and a underdrive crank pulley i would see high 12
my tranny has been rebuild with Performance Automatics internals and shift kit, if I would do it all over again I would swap a 4R70W not only are they stronger but they have the wider ratio gearset for faster accelaration.

yeah see thats where i was getting confused lol... i have an extra aode that im gonna have thoroughly rebuilt with performance parts to beef it up, hopefully have it rollin before the summer... and i just rebuilt another AODE, just to stock to help me along my trails for now... i personally am too nervous to run a 4r70w..

The trans I bought from a member on here built to hold 700hp,,I already ran the edge 9.5 3400 stall Edge..
rest of the car is:
302 stock bottom end....67K
TFS Track Heat H/C/I
70mm TB
75 Gran MAF with 24lb inject.
Kirban AFPR
255 LPH pump
K & N CAI
U/D pullies
bbk shorty headers
Summit O/R H pipe
Borla side exhaust
3:73 gears
SCT tuned by Lasota racing.

What lift would I see with 1.7's on the stock cam? Would putting 1.7's on be worth the extra $50?

Or should i say f*** it and stop being a baby about it and do it right? HAHA I was thinking of goign with the Steeda #19 and see how it does after the tune and decide if I need the stall after.

I run the Steeda 19. My car is also a AODE, which is stock.

Currently, the car isn't tuned. It will be once I get the Intake and Injectors.

Eventhough it runs fine w/o a tune, like it's supposed too, a tune could only add more hp.

I plan on adding some 3.73's, hopefully soon, then I guess I will need to look into a TC the way the posts here are sounding lol.

why is that ? its just a stronger automatic with wide ratio first and second

AODE ------------------ 4R70W

first 2.40:1 gear--- 2.84:1 gear

sec 1.47:1 gear--- 1.55:1 gear

3 and 4 speed stay the same

everything ive read on it is like hot and cold... say some yeah, some say no... i personally wouldnt know wtf to do with it... i think just beefin up my aode with a nice dynamic 2800 tc would be sufficient... the aode ill have built, the guy says itll handle about 550-600, neither of which i plan to get unless i end up with a complete 331 and a blower/turbo set up...