Anyone Else Running 235/40/18's On Their Fox?

dz01

Mar 31, 2005
Massachusetts
I bought my car already lowered 2" with 18" wheels and 235/40/18 Nitto tires. The tires don't rub at all which is surprising. It's getting time to replace them not from wear, but age. I think they are 6 or 7 years old at this point. Getting pretty slick due to tires getting hard.

It seems rare to see a fox with 18s probably because they are known to rub? Any thoughts on this tire size before I replace the rubber? I thought about running 17s like I had on my old fox since I have many more tire options. Now is the time to think about changing my setup since I need tires.

I think the car looks pretty good on 18s, but wanted to get other thoughts.

Thanks

Attachments

• LX.jpg
    LX.jpg
    573.7 KB · Views: 866
  • Sponsors (?)

She looks good with the 18's. I know I'm off subject but how does it ride/feel with 40's? I just posted a few days ago about tire options with stock 10 hole rims(ordered tires yesterday). How do you handle potholes or speed bumps without bending a rim?

I might be getting old but how does your back feel after you have been driving for a while.
I'm running 2" lowering spring with rubber bushings on stock rims, and I feel it if I drive too long.

I run 235 40 18s on my fox but its got a Cobra IRS in the rear. It fits pretty well with the rims I have. The rear isn't lowered but the front is 1.5 inches. I've got 265 35 18s and they measure out to fit my rear. My rim offset is 50mm....my IRS sticks out 1.5 inches wider than the stock 8.8.

IMG_20170219_164534666_HDR.jpg

I used to run 225 50 17s...can't really tell a difference in road feel.

Reactions: 1 user
She looks good with the 18's. I know I'm off subject but how does it ride/feel with 40's? I just posted a few days ago about tire options with stock 10 hole rims(ordered tires yesterday). How do you handle potholes or speed bumps without bending a rim?

I might be getting old but how does your back feel after you have been driving for a while.
I'm running 2" lowering spring with rubber bushings on stock rims, and I feel it if I drive too long.

Yeah, the ride quality is definitely sacrificed with the lowered suspension and low profile tires although I don't have a good comparison since I bought the car set up this way. I do avoid potholes and don't drive in bad areas like Boston (like driving on the moon with all the craters and holes).

This car is a weekend warrior and I tend not to drive it for long periods. The exhaust sounds great, but the drone gets to you before the suspension does.

I run 235 40 18s on my fox but its got a Cobra IRS in the rear. It fits pretty well with the rims I have. The rear isn't lowered but the front is 1.5 inches. I've got 265 35 18s and they measure out to fit my rear. My rim offset is 50mm....my IRS sticks out 1.5 inches wider than the stock 8.8.

IMG_20170219_164534666_HDR.jpg

I used to run 225 50 17s...can't really tell a difference in road feel.

I'm not sure I could run a narrower tire. I'm not sure how wide my rims are, but the tires seem to be smaller. I'll take a picture. Either they are supposed to be this way with low profile tires so the tire protects the rim lip a little or my rims are much wider than the tire size on there now.

Nice looking car btw. I would think you could put a little wider tire out back if you wanted. There definitely is more room there than the frontend of these cars.

Here are a few pics of what I was talking about how the rim looks wider than tire. Not sure width my rims are.

Put a measuring tape across the top an measure them. They look like they must be 8.5 or 9 inches wide. My tires sit just about flush with the rim and they're 8 inches wide.

No. The car has a set of BBK springs, front coils have a little under half of a coil cut. The rear has about a quarter of a coil cut to achieve the desired height. The wheels are 8.5" wide, the 235/40/18 are Nexen brand tires and they fit perfectly to me. That being said, all tire sizes are not equal, depending on the brand. If you go to Tire Rack.com, select tires, select shop by size, choose a tire you want to look at, when you select it, and the page comes up, scroll down the page until you see SPECS. Select that and it will give you all the info on that tire.

Reactions: 1 user
Just judging by the picture, my guess is that wheel is at least 10" wide if not 10.5. I'll see if I can get a picture of mine and you can compare the difference.

Just judging by the picture, my guess is that wheel is at least 10" wide if not 10.5. I'll see if I can get a picture of mine and you can compare the difference.

sounds good thanks. If mine are 10" or 10.5" I wonder if I should be running a wider tire?

I'm currently looking at the Sumitomo HTR Z III's. I've had those on other mustangs before.

IMG_0621.JPG
sounds good thanks. If mine are 10" or 10.5" I wonder if I should be running a wider tire?

A 235/40/18 is too small for a 10" wide wheel. The sidewall will be stretched outward. This will affect the performance of the tire, also the rim will be exposed with no protection. Can you say curb rash ?

Here's a picture of the 235/40/18 on the 18X8.5 If you need a different look let me know and I'll go take a picture.

any pics of how far the tire sticks out from the vendor. Are you running 10" wheels?
My 235's are on an 8" wide wheel up front. No way i'd stretch that tire over a 10" wide wheel. I doubt you have 10" wide rims up front, most likely 9". My rear wheel is 9" wide with a very squared up 245/40/18 BFG tire on it.

That's some serious stretch on that wheel above.

18" rims are usually 18x10 and a 275 is too small. Should really have a 295 on there.

I have 235s on an 8" wheel and it's pretty square to maybe a slight stretch. I dont think I'd stuff an 235 on a 9" wheel at all. 245s are a slight stretch in a 9" rim but 275s are more ideal for 9"

Last edited:
I took a quick measurement and looks like my rims are 10". Guess I'm in the market for wheels and tires now since I don't think putting bigger tires on my 10" wheels will look right on a fox. They will stick out too far. Now I need to find the ideal wheel/tire combo with a fox lowered 2". I would like to stay with 18s vs. going to 17s.

I always though my tires looked odd and I guess they guy would owned it before me didn't do any sort of research