ANyone ever heard of putting RTV on your Cyl Head bolts? This is new to me!

Starscream88

Mar 8, 2003
Park Ridge NJ
Ok,

Finally I got round to buying my AFR heads lol ;)

Now I was thinking of ARP bolts this time,

However people have told me that I need to use thread sealer (or RTV) On the Cyl head bolts???

WTF?
Ive never done this before and everything has been fine,

Is it really 100% needed?

Discuss :D

• Sponsors (?)

I would not put RTV on the head bolts...because if you ever have to pull them out...it would be a mess inside the "holes"...

Just use thread sealer on the bottom bolts and 30w oil on the top...I just installed my AFR 165's the other day...haven't got to start it yet though...

People use thread sealer on the lower bolts that go into the coolant passages. For what its worth i've used it with no leaks...and i've not used it with no leaks. :shrug:

The head bolts on the stock 5.0 HO passenger head do go though coolant galleys.

Use a light coat of liquid teflon not RTV.

My brother intalled a set of GT 40 Heads on his 95 Gt and one of the bolts on the passenger head began to leak coolant a few weeks after the install.
We pulled out (the second to last from fire wall) the head bolt and applied liquid teflon on the threads and it sealed it.

Michael Yount said:
I got the ARP sealer/lube at my local performance parts store. Yes, it works with studs or bolts; and because it lubes and seals threads, you can use it on just about any fastener.
Yep, Summit also has it...it's like $8-9, but like someone said, you get plenty of it. I've used it a lot. It also brings your necessary torque ratings down, so be sure and read the directions. I think it took my head studs from like 80lbs w/ regular lube down to like 70lbs w/ the arp thread sealer.