Anyone have a second to measure something for me on their 8.8? PLEASE!

FastGT94

Nov 20, 2003
NW Burbs, IL
Ford%208-8.jpg

Either the red line or the blue but please specify which one was measured.

I recently put in LCA's and I'm getting major suspension binding. I'm afraid I may have bent the LCA mounting points on the 8.8 when I was pounding out the old bolts and I want to see if they have indeed been bent inward.

I'm basically looking for the measurement between the inner LCA mounting point on the drivers side to the inner LCA mounting point on the passenger side or the outer of each.

Thanks I really appreciate it, I'm trying to track down a major binding in my suspension and I'm afraid this may be the culprit!

Attachments

• Ford%208-8.jpg
    Ford%208-8.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Sponsors (?)

What kind of binding are you getting? I think I am getting some binding also from my lowers, they are metal sleaved at the axle, and the sleaves were a little long so I ground them down... I think I ground them down too far and when I bolted the lower onto the axle side, it's grabbing the arm itself and not the sleave... The rear suspension is super stiff now, although it keeps the axle straight and it handles much better now.. Let me know, because I am leaving in about 10-15 minutes to go take it back apart and see if I can fix it...

Nick

Thanks sweet88gt

Does that measurement include the thickness of the metal or are you measuring from the inner edge not including the thickness of the metal forming the bracket?

Thanks

The binding I'm getting is in another thread but basically the rear end is WAY too stiff and lifts one of the rear tires around sharp corners. (less than 60 degrees)

I'm using Mega Byte Jr LCA's on the lower hole.

-Jacked up the car
-Supported housing with jack
-Removed lower shock bolts
-Lowered rear housing one side at a time to remove springs
-Supported housing level with jack stands
-Removed old LCA's
-Pounded out LCA bolts at axle side
-Installed new LCA's on frame side & tightened some but not full
-Installed LCA's on axle side - struggled here lining things up but with some moving around of the axle got things lined up (had to pry each arm a bit towards the middle of the housing to get them into the bracket). Snugged up bolts but not full TQ
-After everything was in and snug, I torqued everything to the recommended 80-90 ft lbs.
-Then put in my drag springs.
-Bolted the shocks back up.

Can you go into detail what you mean by pre-load?

I'm going to check the measurement tonight. If the measurement checks out ok, I was going to re-install my stock UCA's to see if it is the uppers that are binding.

If it still binds, I may try to re-do the LCA install.

Just make sure you grease the bushing first... that can cause binding. Like I said before, my control arms at the axle end have no bushings, just metal sleaves... this eliminates deflection at the cost of road noise and harshness... well I put them in about 2 months ago and the rear has been super stiff ever since... I JUST got done taking them back off and grinding down the ends so the metal sleaves would stick out beyond them... thus when you bolt them on, you're attaching point is the metal sleave bushing, and not the control arm itself... it moves free now, but didnt before. It was binding up... I got some pics while I was under there, and I will post them up in another thread when I get home! :nice:

Nick

When I first did mine I had made the mistake of bolting everything up with the rear end jacked up pretty high. As i mean the jack was (loading) the rear end to much and snugged all of the bolts. When I let the rear end sag to put the shocks on there was no way that was happening. Loosened all bolts and let the rear end down a bit and no more problems. I best described this problem as "pre load". Alot of tension all the suspension before it was lowered to the ground and supported its own weight. As if this wasnt bad enough I had heard about it happening before I did the project.

Oh and by the way, I measured the LCA mounts and they are to spec so that's good news.

I swapped back in the stock UCA's and most of the binding is gone now. Definitely a world of difference. I wonder if there is a set of adjustable UCA's that I can install without causing binding?

I just installed my 3 months ago. It was easier (for me) two just drop the whole rear(both sides) and then install the new control arms. When putting the new ones in I had a little strugle lining up the arms into the axle bracket. Once both were in I jacked the axle up to normal ride height(car was lifted .5 inches off stands) then tightened to spec they listed. no problems sence then. Are you still using the axle dampeners(quad shocks)?