Suspension Anyone here have a 9" in their fox body?

Looks nice man. Your car, build it the way you want and what makes you happy. That's what is most important. Good luck. More pics please, as the install moves along.
Thank you.. I am well aware of the overkill with this add... As I have said, the 7.5 inch in it has 150,000 miles on it . Any 8.8 I would have to BUY would have been disassembled and redone, and new 5 lug axles would have to be purchased, so the additional amount of money going towards this is not that much more and a 9 inch is easy to work on...
My goal is to make this a nice driver and I want it dependable to take some day trips locally here in Florida.....

• Sponsors (?)

New Eaton posi and ring gear
DSCF0738.JPG
DSCF0740.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF0738.JPG
    DSCF0738.JPG
    501.6 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: 1 users
I decided to install a solid bushing for my pinion pre load instead of using a crush washer.... Supposed to be a better way to do it...
I had GearFX make me some large bushings/shims and the idea is to put another smaller shim of .010 to .025 ( appx) with one of he large shims to reach the required 13 to 15 inch pounds.. I could not get the correct inch pds as a .001 difference made my pinion preload go from 5 inch pounds to 25 inch pounds so I was kinda scratching my head after taking this apart many times changing out shims.....
I came close to just installing the crush shim....

I purchased most of my rear end parts from Quick performance and I thought I would call them for some help.... VERY helpful people there ( I recommend them) Max told me to sand the large bushing down to get the required fit.. As in sandpaper on some metal or glass, for flatness, and lightly kiss it on the sand paper.. Worked really well the second time I didn't sand TOO much off the shim. LOL .... Were talking .0005 or less to get the required preload specs..

Also Gear FX recommended 15 - 20 inch pds for preload.... I stopped sanding ( which was about 6 times around the 180 grit sandpaper) at 17 inch pounds
I will add some pics here......

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Promised pics..... I hope this helps pay it forward for all the help I get on here
This is a 350 ring and pinion on a new Daytona ( Large bearing) pinion housing.
The ring gear is on a new eaton carrier... I cant think of the name ( CRS goes along with getting old) but its the posi with the helical gears in it....
If my garage looks a little crowded, it is... I went from my last home having a 1500' garage to this home with a double car garage.....

DSCF0759.JPG
DSCF0760.JPG
DSCF0761.JPG