Anyone Make New Air Boxes??

jikelly

20+ Year Stangneter :roc</strong><span class=
Jul 9, 2003
872
53
99
Lubbock Tx
Howdy Folks,

It's time for another installment of...

What Not To Do To Your Mustang

So, I just got threw tearing the crap out of my air box while replacing my leaky heater core. Yes I read the manual, and yes I still managed to rip out the studs that hold the airbox in place.

The manual is not much help because it doesn't show you where the air box studs are. I'd done a heater core replacement before. Seems like the last time I changed it out I did it without removing the entire airbox. I remember spending hours working on it, trying to find all those little clips that hold the two pieces together. Well this time I missed one. I couldn't see it or reach it with the top of the box in place, how in the heck did I ever do that before?? I must have had better skills back then.

Anyway, I decided to just remove the whole box. I removed the nuts from the studs and discovered that it still wouldn't come free. There is a down pipe that directs the air to your feet and it was holding the bottom of the airbox in place. I yanked, stuff gave way, and the studs ripped out of the box. Fantastic!!:rolleyes:

So, I'm gluing it back together.

Does anyone make new air boxes?? Does anyone make one that's a lot easier to remove the heater core from??
 
nobody even makes a repro of your box. your stuck with 'glassing them back together if you break it. mine was broken as well but from me removing it, i guess it was just too many years of being in the car, anyway i had to 'glass it to fix a big broken chunk on one side and a couple of the studs had to be 'glassed back in as well
 
Howdy Folks,

It's time for another installment of...

What Not To Do To Your Mustang

So, I just got threw tearing the crap out of my air box while replacing my leaky heater core. Yes I read the manual, and yes I still managed to rip out the studs that hold the airbox in place.

The manual is not much help because it doesn't show you where the air box studs are. I'd done a heater core replacement before. Seems like the last time I changed it out I did it without removing the entire airbox. I remember spending hours working on it, trying to find all those little clips that hold the two pieces together. Well this time I missed one. I couldn't see it or reach it with the top of the box in place, how in the heck did I ever do that before?? I must have had better skills back then.

Anyway, I decided to just remove the whole box. I removed the nuts from the studs and discovered that it still wouldn't come free. There is a down pipe that directs the air to your feet and it was holding the bottom of the airbox in place. I yanked, stuff gave way, and the studs ripped out of the box. Fantastic!!:rolleyes:

So, I'm gluing it back together.

Does anyone make new air boxes?? Does anyone make one that's a lot easier to remove the heater core from??

Dec. 1968...blew the heater core to hell at 8200 rpm in 1st gear. The girl with me was not happy. They didn't have good manuels back then for the shade tree and I had to split the box while under the dash. I never did get all those clips back in but I was going off to the Navy in Jan. 69 so it wasen't that much of a problem for me. The guy who bought the car may have another view of that.

If the car is not a factory air why not use this as an excuse to go with a Vintage-Air unit?

And I agree with you on the Chevy Volt. If that car works....game over for the gas barons.
 
When I has a/c installed in my car my airbox and heater core unit were replaced so I tried to sell it as a unit on ebay. For an item that isn't being repopped I couldn't find a buyer and mine was in great condition. After three attempts to sell, the last with a starting bid of $1 I finally threw it away.
 
I repaired mine with galvanized sheet metal and pop-rivets; and lots of slicone caulk. Oh, don't forget a little duct tape too. Had to fab all the trap doors from scrap sheet and steel rod. Built the seals from foam purchased at the local hobby store. I epoxy'd a new drain bung made from a 2 inch piece of flaired 3/8 metal fuel line. It ain't sexy but it works like a dream for now anyway.

Get creative.

DR