Anything To Look For In A Used '96 Cobra? (newbie Looking At A First Car)

42Grover

Oct 4, 2014
Canada
Hello all,

So my dad's first car was a 1970 Mustang, coincidentally from the year he was born, and when I finally convinced him I could be responsible with a Mustang (HAH!) he told me I should get one from the year I was born. Ergo, I'm looking through 1996 Cobra Coupes, and was just politely curious if there are any specific problems with the car I should be watching out for?

I'm doing my own research as well on this, but given that I'm going to see one on Sunday morning I thought it might be smart to ask people who actually know what they're talking about in case I research the wrong issues and the one I'm looking at in 36 hours ends up having a critical flaw I'd otherwise be unaware of. Any tips or pointers are appreciated!

For reference, this is the one I'm going to see, http://www.instantautoloans.com/gallery/index.php/1996-Ford-Mustang-Cobra-SVT-Coupe
It's $4,495 at the moment (in Canadian dollars) and as far as I can tell from here, the body's in good shape and I'd only have to do some interior work before I start showing off. It's at 106,000 miles which from what I can tell is pretty good, all things considered.

• Sponsors (?)

Listen closely to the engine. Some developed a tick due to a flaw in cooling at the rear of the engine. It could have had a fix so just be wary of that. Drive it around to get a feel for the suspension and drive train. My son has a 98 with 150k+ miles and it runs great. There are some interior and paint issues but that is expected for a 15+ year old car. The price is close. As usual, see if you can talk them down.