AOD complete unit upgrade advice

Hello, I’m new to the forum, but I have 1990 concert with 5.0 and AOD with 200k. What is some good Complete AOD suggestions for a direct replacements? My engine is stock but will get a mild build to around 300-325 hp. I’ve only really know about the Performance automatic since my last car was a T5

• Sponsors (?)

If you got enough money, the best plan is swap in a 4r70w with a trans controller. Much stronger than AOD and programmable electronic control. I rebuilt the AOD in my 93 vert. I spent alot of time on it upgrading to 2" drum and whatnot. I got $700 in it ans it's still kinda meh. Works fine for the stockish setup i have in the vert. Not sure how much a beefed up AOD would cost outright. Probably expensive enough to really consider the 4r70w upgrade instead. I'll see if I can find the link to my AOD rebuild saga

Reactions: 1 user
I spent a fortune on an aod for the 85. It lasted about a year before it cooked itself. If your going to build one get the highest grade clutches and bands you can afford. Get a high end gears and a high end valve body. I ended up with a PA c4, it's still going strong from what I was told.
Edit: The AOD I bought was $2800. Now that was years ago keep in mind.

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure how much help I can be, but I've been considering buying a Lentech AOD for a while now. My end goal for my engine is about 375 HP

http://lentechautomatics.com/products/
Screenshot_2018-08-07-01-48-10.png

That's what I had. Keep in mind I had a 408 with a crazy amount of nitrous. That plus slicks are probably what did it in. The converter came apart and then the trans did like wise.

That's what I had. Keep in mind I had a 408 with a crazy amount of nitrous. That plus slicks are probably what did it in. The converter came apart and then the trans did like wise.
Yeah, I'm not planning on anything quite as extreme as nitrous and drag slicks. I might do a Test & Tune at the local drag strip a couple weekends a year, but my car is primarily going to be designed for autocross.

I built my own 4r70w using a tech manual, and suggested upgrades from the supplier where I purchased my rebuild stuff from.

I also bought a transgo reprogramming kit that eliminated the need for an external trans controller. I still have OD, and Lock up.
The trans behaves like a 5 speed with regard to rpm drop between shifts, and the shifts are clean and firm.

The only issue with my rebuild ( which isn't an issue for me) is that the trans is full manual...( except OD, and LU, which are buttons on my console)