Aod transmission no OD

Car shifts into over drive and it's like a second neutral. Will switching filter and fluid have any chance of saving the overdrive band? The fluid is a faded red that smells burnt. The car has a stock gear ratio and motor ,so will it be fine to just drive without overdrive for a long period of time?

• Sponsors (?)

Most AOD's can be driven for a long time without OD before a total failure. Drive it until you can't. Nothing short of a rebuild is going to fix OD though. My F-150 is this way right now. Sucks on the highway so it stays in the garage.

Most AOD's can be driven for a long time without OD before a total failure. Drive it until you can't. Nothing short of a rebuild is going to fix OD though. My F-150 is this way right now. Sucks on the highway so it stays in the garage.
That's what I thought it's basically like a c4 now lol. With a 2:73 gear ratio will it still be bad on the highway at like 70-75?

Lockup is a clutch in the convertor. The actual OD band is in the transmission.

...unless I misunderstand how the AOD transfers torque, which is possible, I'm no guru. :cool: I've taken one apart, watched video's, read a book, and everything. Even have 2 cores in storage.

Gas mileage can be mid-20's. Not bad for a V8 in the '80's.

I drove a 700r4 for almost 2 years daily with only first and second gear. It was fun on the highway...didn't have to drop a gear to pass. It was in an Astro van so not the best gas mileage. How long it lasts is up to your particular transmission and your right foot.

Wouldn't it be worth checking the OD apply servo piston's o-ring, and making sure the OD band is still hooked to where it anchors? If you're doing a fluid/filter change anyway..

I do agree that the OD is probably cooked, although it could be the TV cable is out of adjustment which is what KRUISR was alluding to.. It was cooked on the one AOD I've owned, so I sold it for $200 (with a fresh shift kit, etc, in it) and went T5Z.