Are Pony Cars Getting TOO Big?

final5-0

Mustang Master
Apr 6, 2003
DFW Texas
I know size can be subjective and all :)
but
From my perspective :shrug:

The new Camaro's, Chargers, etc seem like a battleship :rlaugh:

I mean ... they look so huge :eek:

Then again ... One of my best friends has a 07 or 08 Stang

I drive it from time to time and it seems really big every time I drive it :eek:

also ... I remember when the 94's came out

We were used to Fox bodies and the 94 seemed so big

Anyway ... Do any of the rest of you think along these lines :scratch:

Grady

• Sponsors (?)

I do! One of my bandmates is a big Mopar guy and he loves talking about the Challenger and its 400-some odd horsepower. He fails to mention the fact that it's practically a boat on wheels... I really hope Ford will put the new 5.0 powerplant in a nice, <3,400-3,500 pound package. That way that 412hp could FEEL like 412!

Sure, and I want a pony - oh wait, I have one, the V8 kind. :D

Folks always want more without the trade-offs. Just ask 'em to pay extra for all of it, and watch most hem and haw and change what they want.

Yes, the cars are getting bigger - the Mustang did in the late 60's. Then they shrunk again into the dreaded Mustang II. IMO, these things go in cycles.

Mine weighs 3380lb last time I weighed it. That's without me in it, and with aluminum heads and a fiberglass hood. My 93' GT weighed something like 3240lb without me in it.

Kurt

Maybe its me....but a mustang at the size of a 370Z would be gay. Pony cars look "powerful". The 370Z while it does look good....looks "cute n quick". Its way too short IMO to fit the "look" of a mustang.

With how laws/safety standards/etc change, the cars are not going to get lighter any time soon until they design some new material or a way to make things that takes out a lot of weight. But even then, it probably wont be cost effective.

Also remember this, they dont build these cars to satisfy the 10% of us that want the best power to weight ratio possible. The v6 owners are the ones who will love a bigger trunk, more headroom, more room in the back seat. And building 2 different cars for a v6 and a v8 model just wouldnt be effective.

The thing i dont like about the challenger is it just looks huge. The design doesnt hide it at all.

People want MORE trunk space, MORE headroom, MORE footroom, a USEABLE rear seat...

Along with better mileage, faster, better handling, better braking, and a safer car

Exactly....people just got so used to driving a little **** box after the Mustang II, they forgot that it was still ok to have a few creature comforts and ammenities as well as a fast, capable car.

I really hope Ford will put the new 5.0 powerplant in a nice, <3,400-3,500 pound package. That way that 412hp could FEEL like 412!

Base curb weight is quoted as 3603lb, which is 31lb more than the 2010 model, giving it an 8.7lb/hp weight/power ratio. That's slightly less than the 9.0 of the Camaro SS so the 2011 GT should scoot to the 1/4 mile in about 12.8 @ 111.

I didn't say it had to look like a 370Z, just be about that size.

Kurt

And that size would be weak. There's no way u can shrink the mustang body and still keep the "mustang" look.

Its like taking a pair of gymshoes like Jordan's, Kobe's, Lebrons....

A "good" size for looks is about a 10-11...too big (challenger) is a 14. Too small (370z) is like a 6 LOL.