BBK SSI Intake Warning

I'd hammer it and make sure I talked to Bryan Rogers. He seems to be the one in charge of damage control on the internet, and also seems to be the one who really cares if his product does well or fails. My personal opinion on that intake is it's a waste of time. I'll put it up against my ported lower tubular gt40 on a dyno anytime. I'd love to see it beat mine under 5500-5700 rpms which is where I drive my car considering it's a street car. Regardless, the motor going in my car is getting 12-15 lbs of boost from a vortech v1 s trim and I'd rather have the car hit down low and let the blower take over up top.

• Sponsors (?)

Well to tell you the truth I don't know what BBK could do at this point anyway. The damage is done. The intake is a POS and the fuel rails will require welding no matter what because after my episode I will NEVER trust that tube.

Plus I don't appreciate having to take a lower on and off of brand new aluminum heads. Especially being that intakes have to be torqued to spec. We already had one or two bolts that didn't want to catch right. It's like surgery on aluminum heads.

Well to tell you the truth I don't know what BBK could do at this point anyway. The damage is done. The intake is a POS and the fuel rails will require welding no matter what because after my episode I will NEVER trust that tube.

Plus I don't appreciate having to take a lower on and off of brand new aluminum heads. Especially being that intakes have to be torqued to spec. We already had one or two bolts that didn't want to catch right. It's like surgery on aluminum heads.

Pretty much. They could have took care of it and had a happy customer, but instead chose to fight about a reciept. FWIW, what does a reciept matter? You wouldn't be asking them to fix it if you didn't have one of their products.

Glad I thought this intake was ugly back then... I think the best bet is either sell the thing, or possibly make the fuel rails work and go from there.

Not worth the slight gains you might possibly see in my opinion.

Not sure this market needed another street intake?

I was juuuuuuuuuust about to order some BBK longtubes but this thread has enlightened me that I might need to shop elsewhere if Im interested in service after the sale

I can see it now....headers show up with a hole in it and they tell me to call a welder :rolleyes:

I was juuuuuuuuuust about to order some BBK longtubes but this thread has enlightened me that I might need to shop elsewhere if Im interested in service after the sale

I can see it now....headers show up with a hole in it and they tell me to call a welder :rolleyes:

I can't speak for the intake but i have never had any problem with any other BBK item. Thats kinda unfair to BBK i think. Just because Ford made the Tempo does that meen all Ford products are crap?:bs:

I can't speak for the intake but i have never had any problem with any other BBK item. Thats kinda unfair to BBK i think. Just because Ford made the Tempo does that meen all Ford products are crap?:bs:

the matter in question is service after the sale, those who received defective parts, not those who didnt receive defective parts

the matter in question is service after the sale, those who received defective parts, not those who didnt receive defective parts

True. I think the problem is where he got it from and the intake itself. I hope if i went down to my local speep shop and got one they would be more then happy to refund my money after seeing thats it a pile. I'm NOT saying he did the wrong thing buying it at a show. Maybe it was the wow facter. seeing a cool new intake and had to have one on the spot. Those shows are great for showing off there new products but sux if you have a problem when you get home. Where do you return to? If you go to a local speed shop or even summit i'm sure they would be more then willing to take it back. Let them deal with getting refunded ther cash. I was'nt in his shoes and don't know the whole story on this. Yes it's a bad product and i hope they work with him on a refund and either stop making the fire bomb intake or fix the problem before someone get's killed. IF it has'nt already killed people:notnice:.

Another BBK SSI horror story. I remember reading that the intake is now sold with a resolution to the fuel rail problem, but who knows if that's even true because no one buys the damn thing after being warned for years, haha. Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having, I say send your old intake to Tmoss :shrug:

he never said anything about BBK not taking car of him, he never mentioned any e-mails or phone calls with BBK, there is NOTHING wrong with BBK headers, threads like this are BS, there were people who told you not to buy the intake, you did anyways, and now your complaining about it... talk about a class act

im sure if you actually took 5 minutes to call BBK they would have worked something out... and your comment about aluminum heads being "like surgery" working on them... i dunno, ive had my lower on and off my heads probly 5 times and never had a single problem :shrug:

he never said anything about BBK not taking car of him, he never mentioned any e-mails or phone calls with BBK, there is NOTHING wrong with BBK headers, threads like this are BS, there were people who told you not to buy the intake, you did anyways, and now your complaining about it... talk about a class act

im sure if you actually took 5 minutes to call BBK they would have worked something out... and your comment about aluminum heads being "like surgery" working on them... i dunno, ive had my lower on and off my heads probly 5 times and never had a single problem :shrug:

You are entitled to your opinion however ignorant it may be :rolleyes:

Strype said:
Hello my name is Jon. I bought one of your SSI intakes for my 93 Mustang LX. On the first install the intake's fuel rails seemed to hold fuel pressure. I had to immediately take it back apart to get to my injectors, and it took 6+ hours to get the fuel rails back together so that they would hold pressure. The problem is the tube in between the rails. It leaks. We finally had to use 2 o-rings on one side of the tube, and even now it's hanging on by a prayer. I do not trust it. It appears that it's gonna require some kind of modification. I wanted to contact you guys first. Is there anything I can do? I don't believe it's gonna hold no matter how many orings are in it.

Thanks,

BBK said:
Sorry you are having issues with that. That is not a common problem.

You can try to remove a little bit of material from the spacers on the passenger side (just a tiny bit) to get the tube to sit further into the rails.

You only want to use one O-ring on each end of the tube as fuel can get between the O-rings and spray out.

Strype said:
By the spacers do you mean the on the rail or on the lower intake? Is that where the rails actually bolt into the intake? I used petroleum jelly to seat the o rings.

I have to be honest I bought this intake from CJPony about 2-3 years ago and I have just got around to putting it on the car. I was waiting to amass all the parts I needed and my wife was pregnant when I bought it.

Is there a way to make use of the already tapped holes in the backs of the rails? Is there a way I can plug the part where the tube goes inbetween them?

I'm really afraid that since it appears that either the tube is too short or the rails are drilled too deep that no matter what I do it's gonna leak. I don't have a lot of money to fix it and we've tried fixing it about 10 times or more.

The lower intake was a pain as well. We kept getting fuel leaking from the injectors but they finally seated for some reason. I don't know how long those will last either but my main concern right now is the tube inbetween the rails.

BBK said:
The spacers that go between the rail and the lower intake on the passenger side. Technically, if those were a little bit shorter, the rail would move closer to center and fit more of the tube into the openings.

The only way to utilize the fittings on the back of the rails and eliminate the crossover tube is to have some custom plugs made to fill up the tube openings which isn;t really feasible.

Are the ends of the tube perfectly round or are they distorted?

Strype said:
Hello again,

We tried to shorten the spacer and still got a leak (now a spray) from the tube. Then my friend grabbed the tube and shook it back and forth!

I cannot believe the entire time that we've been working on it (on and off for a few weeks) that nobody thought to do that. It can be moved noticably back and forth when the rails are as tight as they'll go.

It was a real "DOH!" moment. I guess we were way overthinking it. That tube is way too short. The thing is that these are brand new aluminum heads and we do not want to take the lower back off unless we absolutely have to. A couple of the bolts into the heads acted funny no matter what we did but they ended up torquing just fine. We are shy about taking the lower back off though. I have an explorer intake as a last resort but I really love the looks of this SSI and it supposedly outperforms everything else.

Is there kit to make use of the tapped holes in the back of the rails and plug the holes for the tube?

BBK said:
Can you give me an exact measurement of the tube length?

Strype said:
Sure I'll try to do that tonight I need to take the fuel rails back off anyway.

*sends pictures*

Strype said:
Hi did you get my reply?

BBK said:
I did. Can you forward a copy of the receipt for the intake so we can get another tube out to you right away?

Strype said:
Sorry I don't know if my email is working... It keeps hanging on me.

That's what I was saying earlier. Its been since 2006 or 2007. I'll look because I think I saved my reciepts but I've moved since I bought it. I bought it new at a mustang show at Barber Motor Speedway from a CJPony booth.

BBK said:
OK. Otherwise, we would need to charge for it . They really want to see the receipt.

Strype said:
I bet CJ Pony has a record of it I'll attempt that. They'll probably laugh. That's if they keyed in what they sold at the show though and if they keep records that long...

I'll try to write them before I take off today. I'll search the house too.

Strype said:
They don't have a reciept from that long ago because it was a car show

BBK said:
Customer service should be contacting you to get this out to you.

Then they called and said I have to pay for any parts.

there were people who told you not to buy the intake, you did anyways, and now your complaining about it... talk about a class act

Thread title says "Warning" not "rant". The first post even says "I'm not so angry about their customer service as I am about the dangerous design"

Paraphrasing of course.

See I remember being 17 and not knowing much about cars. There are a lot of young guys in here who spend what little money they have on their car like I did. It was meant to be a "Warning" as it states in plain English. Cuidado. Being of superior intellect and experience you shouldn't be worried with this thread. It was probably written buy a guy with a low intelligence quotient anyway. Just let the idiots complain. After all it is their fault for buying.

im sure if you actually took 5 minutes to call BBK they would have worked something out...

You'd be wrong... See above.

and your comment about aluminum heads being "like surgery" working on them... i dunno, ive had my lower on and off my heads probly 5 times and never had a single problem :shrug:

:cookie:

+

:banana:

+

jello mix
------------
dessert

I have not been to pleased with BBK's product seeing as that I have been working on this with STRYPE .
The first issue was the way the FPR mounts and the tiny little bolts that hold it on are way to fragile.
The fuel rail issue is just a stupid A$$ design apparently they are trying to use an idea of GM's and fell so far away from the mark that they can't even see the mark anymore. I'm not a big GM fan but BBK needs to hire their engineer to fix this issue cuz it looks like they are not smart enough to do so.

Now I have heard about alot of great parts BBK sells, but how they are handling this I WILL NOT EVER BUY A THING OF THEIRS!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. STRYPE

SHOULDA BOUGHT AN EDELBROCK :rlaugh::rlaugh:

Originally Posted by BBK
Sorry you are having issues with that. That is not a common problem.

LOL! :bs:

Originally Posted by Strype
Hello again,

We tried to shorten the spacer and still got a leak (now a spray) from the tube. Then my friend grabbed the tube and shook it back and forth!
That tube is way too short.

Originally Posted by BBK
Can you give me an exact measurement of the tube length?

Originally Posted by Strype
Hi did you get my reply?

Originally Posted by BBK
I did. Can you forward a copy of the receipt for the intake so we can get another tube out to you right away?

So, you proved the tube was too short. BBK agreed and now they wont ship a replacement without proof of purchase. Over a little tube. I bet it cost BBK 3 or 4 bucks to manufacture that tube. How much did they want to charge you for it?

$15

But I have my doubts that it will fix the issue. Like I said I'm complaining because I didn't have a reciept. I'm giving the public fair warning.

Damn the fifteen bucks I was lucky my car and house didn't burn down!

Prechinese Cobra intake FTMFW!

Sorry to hear about what is going on. That is weak trying to charge for that stupid little part. My GF had a car dealership do the same, try and charge her $60, even though the car was under warranty...