BBK-SSI opinions

My Speed Density Gt AOD is tired
so I'm replacing with a "CCM Budget motor"
(forged pistons P head in stock block, speed density cam).
Orginally thought about standard GT 40 induction
but now thinking maybe BBK SSI
understand performance level is close to the same
..............Anyone got any input on BBK intake (or motor set up)
I'm doing it for a different look under hood
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

keep in mind that the ssi come with high flow fuel rails, and a 70mm tb!!!!! all for the low low price of $575. and if i remember correctly, gt40 cost somewhere in the ball park of six hun, so technically you pay the same price, only with bbk, you get a few extra goodies, you see, bbk already makes all that stuff, so its cheaper to do everything (tb, int., and fuel rails) at once than buying them seperately...go with bbk

just to let you know that im not biased between gt-40 and bbk-ssi, i actually own a gt-40 upper & lower with the 1" spacer, and i love it! but next time around, i think i'll give the ssi a shot

The TB does not come with the BBK SSI intake for 549.00. If you want the TB also the whole kit is like 729.00 for everything. I was on the waiting list for the SSI intake until i read the reviews in 5.0 and MMFF, and now im glad i kept my GT-40

^ O I was wondering about one was 549 and the other was 729... anyway

Over on the 94-95 talk section someone posted a thread about this instake, forget the name of the thread but it said bbk ssi in the title and theyhad the gt40, then switched to the bbk ssi and got a 7rwhp increase and that was their only mod... If I remember correctly it was an interesting thread, worth trying to find again! :nice: and bt Imo the ssi is the nicest looking intake, inthe catalogues at least :rolleyes:

5.0 mag. said that when they tested intakes, on a 302 and a 347, the SSI pulled more HP at the peak, but wasn't really worth it.

If you ask me, it would do a hell of a lot better if the same design was dual TBs. I just found a old 5.0 mag, from 2001 or so, and there is a ad for an intake that looks like the SSI, but is DUAL TB!

It is not significantly better or worse than any other intake. The SSI, GT40 and Edelebrock Perf. RPM all make with in a few hp and torque on the same engine. The only difference is where they make their power. The GT40 makes more torque lower inthe RPM range and carries it nearly as high as the other two. All peak in HP near similar rpm's.

For my money, the GT40 is best IMO. But any of them are better than the stock intake.

Hi. I have an SSI manifold on a Ford crate engine in a kit cobra. I figured at 350 horse and 2200 lbs. it should move, and I wanted the latest greatest manifold. Unfortunately, what moved was coolant through the manifold in a fissure and leaked out by the #4 cylinder manifold bolt. Also I have to mention the spacing on the fuel rails does not match the spacing on the intake ports so the injectors are not parallel, and they leaked gasoline on the intake manifold. This was after I spent 2 hours grinding casting flash out of intake runners to improve flow.

I contacted John Brockman at BBK who has been very gracious and helpful. I boxed up the manifold and fuel rails to return to BBK, but FedEx has no record of a request to pick it up for a return to BBK.

I have been trying so hard to get this car together and now I am stuck with a manifold that leaks. I have no other recourse than to sue BBK in small claims court.

:notnice:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

- David

Attachments

• SMALL3.JPG
    SMALL3.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 443
  • SMALL.JPG
    SMALL.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 150
Wow that sucks man...

But at least we know the truth. I have a lot of BBK stuff on my car and im happy with it all, but any new item is bound to have problems on the first manufacturing run. I'm pretty sure they'll get better.

Back to the subject, if you want the best flowing manifold then i will out argue anyone over the Holley systemax!!! :flag:

NOTE: More air flow doesnt necessarily mean more power.

I have an Explorer intake on my 5.0 now, it has heads/cam and i wish i had the holley, this manifold is definately robbing a good 10 HP from my setup.

Dbeck002 said:
NOTE: More air flow doesnt necessarily mean more power.

I have an Explorer intake on my 5.0 now, it has heads/cam and i wish i had the holley, this manifold is definately robbing a good 10 HP from my setup.

Depending on the heads and cam you have, properly porting the Explorer lower can produce an intake that makes more more average power than the Holley even though it does flow more.

Just an update:

John, Bryan and everyone at BBK continued to be concerned and extremly helpful. In the end they had been trying the best to get the manifold back and remedy the situation. It is the folks a FedEx that are incompetent. Thanks to John, Bryan and all those at BBK that stand behind their product and are helpful fixing a situation.

:)

- David