beginner

youknowmeehan

Aug 12, 2007
im am going to purchasing a 2005 mustang gt i need to know what you guys suggest on parts to get horsepower and such. All i know is what my exhaust setup is going to be which is slp long tube headers slp catted x pipe and slp loumouth axle back then get a cold air intake and chip. Anything else anyone suggests ive been reading about gears 3:73 and 4:10 dont have a clue what it means can some explain and tell me whats happens. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Your first mod should be the Intake. It REQUIRES a tune so that kills two birds with one stone. I'm going with the Steeda CAI kit paired with a DiabloSport Predator.

From what I've heard the stock exhaust system on these cars are tuned very well so you'll not see too much of a HP gain from that.

For gears, read this. It might help explain better...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear_ratio

LOL

Sounds like your off to a good start. Under Drive Pullies will free up 8-10 horsepower. Then an aluminum driveshaft will make your car much quicker but may not give HP. But a great mod anyway.

I'd suggest the following.

A C&L or JLT2 cold air intake and a SCT tuner from either Brenspeed or Bamachips, that'll net you a solid 25-30HP and sets the stage for the whole thing.

After that some Steeda UDP and some CMCV plates will really round out the power quite well.

You can do mufflers but really the gains HP wise are nill, it's more sound than anything.

For gears, a manual car I'd say 4:10s, if it's auto 3:73's are generally good enough though some of the more hardcore say no less than 4:10's for anything but I and a bunch of others disagree. In fact if you plan to supercharge most places say 3:73's are about all you should change to or you really risk just blowing the tires off when you launch.

And if you do all that above and are drag racing, some drag radials would likely be a very good idea as your car will be going pretty damn quick, some BMR or Seeda lower control arms would be a good idea too at this point.

Here is what I would do:

1) Your exhaust mods sound good, do that.

2) Unless you really like the looks of a CAI, don't bother buying one. I do suggest you get a tune though, I would recommend a SCT X-Cal 2. The tune provides the majority of the gains( 95% ) itself.

3) I would recommend 4.10's for either a Standard Transmission or Automatic.

Personally, if you are aiming for a quick car in the 1/4, this is my recipe for a 12 second standard transmission car.

1) M/T ET Street Drag Slick( 26/11.5/17 )
2) MGW Short throw shifter
3) SCT X-Cal 2( Stock Airbox and Filter )
4) Aluminum 1 piece driveshaft( Drive shaft safety loop will be required )

Sounds like your off to a good start.
+1

Under Drive Pullies will free up 8-10 horsepower. Then an aluminum driveshaft will make your car much quicker but may not give HP. But a great mod anyway.
Although the driveshaft won't give you HP, it will free up some just as the UDPs will. The factory DS ways about 40 pounds more than most of the lightweight ones. That is a substatial reduction of rotating mass!