Best 5.0 Combo?

80notch

Nov 18, 2014
Alrighty guys new to the forum and new to completely rebuilding engines. I currently have a 6 cylinder 80' hatch and I wanna build a 302 for it. Here's where I'm caught I have a 72 302 out of my old f-100 I put a Cleveland in. Is there anything differenet about that year I should watch for. As well as what head should I be looking for? I already have a lunati cam and forged Pistons I can't figure out which head would be best gt-40 or older 351 heads ported out or cut to the chase and get a set of aluminum heads? Any one able to help me?

• Sponsors (?)

Honestly? Sell the 80 hatch, buy a 87 and newer- even a roller. The brakes, cooling, suspension, rear end, and about everything else are all better. You will have a big ole v8 in the 1980 that has terrible brakes, suspension, rear end. etc. You will also need to determine what trans you are going with.

For a motor, I'd get a used explorer motor, change the valve springs and cam and you will have a much better motor than the 40 year old truck motor. Go with a 650 carb and a good dual plane intake and you are set.

I would sale the 80 but it has a centimental value. I have done the full disc conversion and posi trac rear end and have a 3 speed auto I converted to a ratchet shift 3 speed. Also have done bracing for the frame and well I have put some time into and wanna finish off