Best Intake for my Combo?

• Sponsors (?)

I always thought they went after the money...

:cool:
If you want a Klean Airplane stripper, it’s best to pay first. Then you can leave the joint with the stripper. :rolleyes:
And you better wear protection and have lots of ventilation because even Airplane Strippers stink and things can get messy.
B55E7527-4915-4684-8994-DC0BDB95E3DA.png

Last edited:
Have you asked tmoss if extrude honing the upper intake gains anything in combination with his ported lower? That seems like the only option for cast factory intakes without cutting them open. The flow numbers I've been able to find were from an extrude hone ad / video on Youtube, so I'm taking them with a grain of salt (they looked pretty good). However, if it does smooth the runners and increase the diameter a bit, it shouldn't hurt on a built motor.
I actually asked him this very question last year and his response was that because the extrude hone process removes so little material that it was basically a waste of money.

Will this stuff easily remove paint from a hood
It depends on how long you let the stripper sit there. ;)
Seriously, I probably still have some with Methylene Chloride in it. That’s the stuff that strips anything, will eat through two pair of HD rubber gloves in short time, will cause sudden drain bramage and death in enclosed spaces, and California hates.
This is still the brand I know (second hand info from trusted sources) that still works with the new formula.

@Davedacarpainter what is your favorite paint stripper that’s easily available?

It depends on how long you let the stripper sit there. ;)
Seriously, I probably still have some with Methylene Chloride in it. That’s the stuff that strips anything, will eat through two pair of HD rubber gloves in short time, will cause sudden drain bramage and death in enclosed spaces, and California hates.
This is still the brand I know (second hand info from trusted sources) that still works with the new formula.

@Davedacarpainter what is your favorite paint stripper that’s easily available?
Only the mice in California hated it.

I prefer this stripper. It’s a bit safer than the aircraft stripper which is some nasty stuff. Downside is this works slower, upside was I was able to do it in my basement without fumes.

32-fl oz Regular Stripper Paste https://www.lowes.com/pd/CitriStrip-Stripping-Gel-1-QT/1000567963

But, I pretty much lathered up my intake, misted it with a sprayer and then wrapped it all in a black trash bag and checked on it a day or so later. Rinse and repeat if necessary.

Final result, before a quick sandblast.
9166A35D-F4A5-41B8-9DE6-F76805E1267E.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
That Airplane Stripper is some good stuff. Used to use it here at the shop all the time, but I know they changed it and you cant buy the old stuff off the shelf anymore. The new formula doesnt work as well.

Last edited:
I prefer this stripper. It’s a bit safer than the aircraft stripper which is some nasty stuff. Downside is this works slower.
32-fl oz Regular Stripper Paste https://www.lowes.com/pd/CitriStrip-Stripping-Gel-1-QT/1000567963

But, I pretty much lathered up my intake, misted it with a sprayer and then wrapped it all in a black trash bag and checked on it a day or so later. Rinse and repeat if necessary.

Final result, before a quick sandblast.
9166A35D-F4A5-41B8-9DE6-F76805E1267E.jpeg
Your regular stripper does good work. ;)
I’m sure the Citrus-strip is what some CA friends are using and report the same results with.
I don’t want to know how they can make degreaser or paint stripper from citrus fruit.

• Haha
I noticed on my intake that the Cobra Emblem is made into the manifold itself. It is not a plate. I will just have to very carefully paint it up nice to look like what you have. Unless, yours is just simply placed over the emblem with some sort of adhesive?

Years ago (1999 or so) I built 2 1993 Cobra's. Both guys road raced and did occasional drag race outings. They were still 100% street cars, licensed/Insured. They were always trying to outdo each other. Which was great for me, as it kept me busy with them one-upping each other.
Short version, with the stock engine, with just a camshaft change, ported stock GT40 heads, stock valves, hand ported lower intake (by me) and Extrude honed upper, add equal length shorty headers, High flow cat X pipe and cat back (All Bassani), a modified stock MAF, stock T-body, each car exceeded 300 whp on a chassis dyno. The Cobra Intake manifold is a good piece. As long as everything else is matched up, it will make good power.
No "chip" stock PCM.

• Useful
I noticed on my intake that the Cobra Emblem is made into the manifold itself. It is not a plate. I will just have to very carefully paint it up nice to look like what you have. Unless, yours is just simply placed over the emblem with some sort of adhesive?

You are right, it’s part of the intake. The 93 version has an aluminum decal.

If you are painting it, you can paint your base color first, and then touch up the pattern with black paint.

If you powdercoat it, a good coater can create a 2-tone effect with that pattern and make it look painted or polished

• Useful
I know. I followed a lot of that banter from the sidelines and have kept out of it. It's spilled over to FB and YouTube as well. I would truely love to see a dyno test between a Bigdog ported Cobra and a tmoss Cobra on the same engine just to compare the dyno curves.

I think one guy offered to do it on Corral a month or so ago, but don't know if that ever became a reality.
Sounds like an episode idea for Engine Masters!

If you want a Klean Airplane stripper, it’s best to pay first. Then you can leave the joint with the stripper. :rolleyes:
And you better wear protection and have lots of ventilation because even Airplane Strippers stink and things can get messy.
B55E7527-4915-4684-8994-DC0BDB95E3DA.png
That’s some good stuff! I used it to strip the paint off my intake and worked like a charm! Highly recommend!