best tire sizes x-cross/roadcourse?

undercnstrction

Nov 10, 2009
so i just read the thread from blck95gt and LOVE the way the set up looks. i've been thinking about how wide i want to go with my setup when i get to that point. what's the general concensus regarding tire size if you are going to set up the car to "turn"? it will be a daily driver mostly, with some autocrossing and hopefully a road course here and there. is there a benefit to running a really wide tire in the back or would i be better off trying to run the same size tires on all four corners? or maybe a slightly smaller "offset" in terms of front to rear tire size? whatchya ya'll think? i've seen a few foxes running 300+ tires on the rear and i think it looks KILLER. but would it be the best way to go for me?

• Sponsors (?)

Technically, running a larger tire on the back shouldn't make the car 'slower', however it will give the rear of the car a bit more grip on a car that already has an excess of rear grip. The best thing to do for a handling course would be same size all around. Putting bigger tires on the rear will just emphasize the understeer that is already present in these cars.

Technically, running a larger tire on the back shouldn't make the car 'slower', however it will give the rear of the car a bit more grip on a car that already has an excess of rear grip. The best thing to do for a handling course would be same size all around. Putting bigger tires on the rear will just emphasize the understeer that is already present in these cars.

Huh? Why would going with a wider tire in the rear induce understeer? Plenty of road course cars run staggered tire sizes. Only benefit to running the same size all the way around is being able to rotate them.

i was hoping you'd chime in on this thread since you've got a few laps under your belt :D . so what's your opinion? should i go as wide as possible without rubbing? or find a happy medium? i've seen a number of guys running 275s, and a few running a 315s but i'm not sure what mods have been done to make them fit.

i was hoping you'd chime in on this thread since you've got a few laps under your belt :D . so what's your opinion? should i go as wide as possible without rubbing? or find a happy medium? i've seen a number of guys running 275s, and a few running a 315s but i'm not sure what mods have been done to make them fit.

if you could fit 315's all they way around i would say do that, but its not gonna happen without alot of work, stick with 275's on all corners, it will keep tire cost down, since you wont be paying for huge meats in the rear, and they will last longer by rotating them