Best tires?

argumosa3

Nov 11, 2005
I'm nearing the end of the tread life in my Nitto NT555's and I'm interested in exploring my options. I drive a '99 Cobra. She dyno'd at 301 rwhp last week so I'm looking for somewhat of a sticky tire, but nothing too extreme. The size I need is 285/35/18. Anybody have any suggestions as to which brand and style I should look into?

• Sponsors (?)

"Tweels"

showletter2or4.jpg

Link

Attachments

• showletter2or4.jpg
    showletter2or4.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 76
seconded. KDW2's all around with my FR500's. which reminds me, i should post up pics.......
:stupid:
I've got BFGoodrich KDW2's all the way around, and I'd buy them again in a heart beat. They are very expensive, but TOTALLY worth it. At discount tire (they matched TireRack's prices) they ran roughly $1100 after shipping ($10 per tire), mounting/balancing ($13 per tire), tax, and free replacement certs.

Honestly, it was all worth it. When I bought mine, they were rated 9.5/10 for wet traction and a 9.2/10 for hydroplaning resistance.

P.S. Go with 295 instead of 285. :drool:

I've had the KDW2's and they are a great tire (just ugly tread). Then I switched to a Michelin Pilot Sport which was even stickier and better in the rain. Then I now have a Toyo Proxes T1R which is by far stickier than all of them, just not cheap. This tire is excellent in the rain as well and gives you a solid contact patch under acceleration. When you do a burnout, it looks like you have slicks.

Anyone else have experience with the Toyo's? The Nitto's were pretty expensive plus this isn't my daily driver so I'm not overly concerned about cost. Anything under or around $325 per tire is what I'm lookin at.

I have 285/35/18 GS-D3's on the back wheels and they're great! They've hooked pretty well so far, but since they're getting pretty low they haven't done much. I like them a lot better than the KDW's I had, but I don't know how well the KDW2's are for the rear wheels since i'm running those up front. Either one should be good :nice:

Same as KDW II, just different tire retail places call them different names.

As for the 9.5" wheel, yes, get 285. I didn't know they were 9.5"s.

Oh, V_Eight, how I love that wide azz tire in your trunk! Is that a 295? I wasn't able to get my hands on anything wider than a 295 in the KWD II/NTs.

Attachments

• Bullitt063-1.jpg
    Bullitt063-1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 51

Yup, KDW2's FTMFW! Best street tire ive ever run on either of the GT's i've owned. I was able to cut some 1.9 60' on 18's and lowered as well on these. Thats pretty impressive for a low profile street tire. Plus, they are wearing very well and i give them hell at least once a day.

Attachments

• Bullitt063-1.jpg
    Bullitt063-1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 55
Same as KDW II, just different tire retail places call them different names.

As for the 9.5" wheel, yes, get 285. I didn't know they were 9.5"s.

Oh, V_Eight, how I love that wide azz tire in your trunk! Is that a 295? I wasn't able to get my hands on anything wider than a 295 in the KWD II/NTs.

Yes, those are 295's. If they made wider, I would've had them!

285/35/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's on 9.5" rear wheel.
These are the best wet traction tires i've ever owner and are really good on dry roads also.

000_0061.jpg

000_0060.jpg

Attachments

• 000_0061.jpg
    000_0061.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 000_0060.jpg
    000_0060.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 57