Bigger Radiator in a 66 Mustang

Apr 22, 2005
So I decided since I need to replace my radiator I’m going to upgrade it to aluminum and use a bigger sized radiator 20" or 24" from 67+ mustangs, the car doesn’t have an a/c at the moment and I would like to install one soon.

My question is do I go with a 20" which will require minor fabrication or should I go with a 24" which I assume will require relocating the battery which I’m no fond of. I don’t plane on changing the radiator support sheet metal. My Car has a 289 engine which will be kept more or less stock with just the addition of an a/c

I know people have done these conversions before and I would really like to hear you input and advice.

What other things to do I need to change, I will require the hoses, a fan shroud will the existing transmission line fit in to the upgraded radiator without any issues? Will I need Lower and Upper Mounting Brackets for the radiator? Do I need to upgrade the fan, more blades, fan clutch? An extra electric fan etc?

How may rows and or cores???
Btw I plan on buying a Champion Radiator

I’ve already seen this, there isn’t much details.
radiators

btw I always read and hear people complain about the small sized radiators found in the 65-66 stangs, I never had experience with them yet. (but then again I haven't driven the car much)

• Sponsors (?)

I put a Ron Davis with dual 13" Spal fans in my 66. I went with the bigger model made for a 79-93 Mustang so a little modification was needed. Temp never budges from 180 and have yet to see the second fan come on...maybe when the new power plant goes in :nice: Here's a pic of what the kit with fans looks like and a pic of it in the car with the fans off.

ron_davis_11-50mu231.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0116.jpg
[/IMG]

Absolutely no reason to go bigger than stock size. Get a 2 row aluminum unit and the largest fan you can get to fit with a good shroud. Air flow is more important that rad core size. 20" or 24" of hot rad is no better than 18". With the proper air flow you can cool a 500hp engine with the stock size alum 20 row rad.

I use a Northern with a flex fan on the water pump and a 12" electric pusher on a 465 hp 347 and it cools just fine even in stop and go traffic.

We have a 20 inch 1967 aluminum radiator in The 66.
Upgraded from the 17 inch to the 20 inch wide one for better cooling. We had to cut 1 1/2 inches from each side of the radiator support to allow air to flow to all of the radiator

Have an electric fan 2500cfm from Speedway that is temperature controlled and runs through a relay circuit.

Stainless Steel Radiator overflow/recover tank

The 66 never gets more than 2/3 on the temp scale now even when idling on a hot day.

Pictures: Cooling