bird_dog0347

Ok, so I got my ignition all squared away I think... I did the timing wrong originally (like everyone else it seems) when I set it to 10 degrees with the A9L and the spout out I assumed I could plug that number into the fixed advance number and then just put whatever number I needed into the offset. Well it would only go to 10 degrees on the timing light on the MSPNP with 20 as the offset, 19.9 would make it show like 18 degrees on the balancer and 20.1 would make it run so rough it would almost die and show like 2 degrees on the balancer so something was clearly wrong. I contacted Matt at DIY and he said the offset needs to be between 0-15 for it to work and to set it there and use the trigger wizard to set the timing at the distributor so match what it was commanding... Did that, now it syncs up. Time to tidy up a few things and then drive it around the block a bit and data log.

• Sponsors (?)

Glad to see you got it worked out. So to clarify for the record, offset= base timing at distributor. Then you must change the timing on the trigger wizard until the timing matches the commanded table timing? Or matches the fixed timing?

Could you walk us through it step by step?

See the link below for the novel...

TLDR: Got megasquirt after doing TFS 170 heads, 1.7 RR, TFS 1 Cam, GT-40 Tubular intake, and a few other things. Tons of other mods not engine related. Been doing some tuning but keep running into other issues, latest being the fuel pump crapping out and I've got a 190 Walbro going in then should be good to start really fine tuning.

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/bird_dog0347s-fox-has-the-squirts.869954/

Alright, so we're on hold with you currently. :confused:

For the moment... I've got the pump and sending unit installed in the tank, and the tank almost back on the car before I realized I forgot to drill the holes and install my trunk mounted battery box to move it all back there and I don't want to do it again. I might have time to do it tonight but certainly won't have any time other than tonight until maybe Saturday night due to work, kids, other plans, etc... I hope to have it running by next week and need to get it's alignment then all good to go.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok, drove it for a while last night and there are two data logs. Mainly just city driving with me getting on it briefly a couple of time but nothing too big. The only things I'd say still really need some work are in the idle department after it get's half way warmed up from that point on (it died on me when I pushed the clutch in while in a parking lot) and in 3rd/4th there were a few times that from cruise barely touching the gas to a WOT roll on there's a hesitation at first then it takes off.

Now it looks like my front main seal is leaking so I gotta fix that next.

Attachments

• Bird_dog0347_051018.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 164
So I had an issue where my LC2 Wideband unit wasn't working and I figured out it was my relay that went bad. Now that I have it working, I went to drive it the other day and noticed that after it warmed up it appeared to be running in the normal AFR range during warmup but once I began driving it I saw it was in cruise around 16-20 AFR so I went right home. Today I started it up and data logged it and it's doing the same thing when warm... Any ideas?

Attachments

• 2018-09-27_13.02.32.msl
    2.6 MB · Views: 122
Hmmm.... any mechanical changes to the car since the initial tune? SD can be affected by small changes in airflow. Also if the cruise was tuned in the fall summer will affect the intake temps. Ect.

I will take a look.

No major changes... Other than the LC2 going out and getting a new relay. The last changes before that were the throttle body many many months ago along with the 4" AFM power pipe and new fuel pump but it was driven with all those on there an normal AFR's.

well thats not a very good idle.... surging like crazy... this started recently?? also where are you located? your MAT sensor reading started at -10*F and only got to 30*F

either way lets see if this clears most of it up.

Attachments

• BirdDog.REV.2.1.0.msq
    119.2 KB · Views: 126
I'm in Dallas, it's about 75-80 today outside... and it's always surged like that, we've never gotten it right which is why I really don't drive it much. I'm frustrated with it and been too busy to work on it. I'll load that one up this afternoon and see what it does.

That said, maybe the sensor is bad?

Well, I loaded up the tune and started it but the MAP temp is still around 20 degrees... I looked at the calibration of it but I don't know the settings so I'll have to research what is correct for my car.