Bleeding my brakes

MikeysOTP

Mar 29, 2007
Can someone explain the procedure for bleeding the brakes. I will be doing my line locks tomorrow and I haven't worked on brakes in a long time. Is it different with ABS? Thanks.

Nope, nothing different with ABS, other than it's very sensitive to air bubbles, so make sure you bleed them well. 10mm wrench for the bleeder valve and a helper to pump the pedal.

Put a small hose on the bleeder valve, and the other end in a catch container of some sort. Give a command to the helper (such as "down") to instruct them to depress the brake pedal and hold. I had my helped pump twice and hold on the second. Then they repeat the command once they're holding. Open the valve 1/4 to 1/2 turn for 1-3 seconds, then close and give the "up" command. Repeat this process 3-7 times, or however it takes. Check the fluid after every caliper to make sure you don't run it too low.

OK, I bled the brakes this morning and I was just wondering if I should have a lot less pressure in the back than in the front. I am guessing it is normal but I just wanted to check with the experts.

Yes, that's normal. That's why you can do a brake stand without destroying your rear brakes. The majority of brake pressure gets applied to the front. If it was 50/50, or more towards the back, the rear end would get squirly when you brake.

As long as you have as solid of a brake pedal (or better) than you started with, you're good to go.