Blow Through Vortech V2.... what gains with an off road mid pipe?

Ok so currently I have a 2004 GT with an intercooled Vortech V2. The car has basically full bolt ons, exhaust, 60# injectors, gears, short throw, etc. etc. I am currently making 403rwhp and 395rw torque with a 3.3" pulley at 10 pounds of boost. When I bought the car it had Flowmaster 50 series on it and I put BBK long tubes and a catted x pipe. What type of power gains (if any) will I see by switching to an off road X pipe? Obviously it won't be as much as going from the stock H pipe to an off road X but than again the car is boosted and exhaust definitely helps more. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't do it. You're in DE. Do you pass the sniffer check now? If so, leave it alone. The aftermarket 3-way cats flow pretty well already. With a full exhaust including long tube headers, I'd say that you're doing pretty well. Your gains with a catless X vs. the 3-way will be negligible in comparison to the emissions headaches.

In DE, if you get pulled over for say... speeding, they can decide to look under the car and it's a $600 per cat fine. Look into it before you decide you need 4 (or so) whole HP for the cost of an X + $1200. The fine may be even more now. :shrug:

Every time I have gone through the DMV they have only checked to see if I have a CEL or a recently cleared one. I have not been subjected to the sniffer test yet (keeping my fingers crossed). Also I would of course hold onto the catted mid pipe for inspection purposes. You make a good point though. I have been lucky so far to keep out of the watchful eye of the smokies but there is always a chance. I guess my buds '04 cobra with Mac lt's, off road x, and borla stingers had me wanting something a little more :D.

Do it!! We got +12hp on my buddies 02 pro charged gt.

Sweet! If you don't mind me asking what was his full set up/what was he making before and after. I ran this by my tuner (Matt @ Performance Evolution in Smyrna, DE). He is an extremely knowledgeable and down to earth guy. He told me I would probably see 10hp on the dyno but the old seat of the pants dyno wouldn't feel too much.

He runs ford racing shorty headers, upr o/r xpipe, borla cutback. Went from 362-374whp

Ah... that makes sense. The OP has already installed long tubes, his exhaust scavenging is going to be considerably better than a set of shorties. It sounds like your buddy's setup had the x-pipe performing that function.

Alright the results are in I just installed the off road H pipe and since this is the last mod I am planning on doing until I decide to build the bottom I had it dyno'd. Now before everyone goes crazy one large difference in this pull and the last one I did was the weather. Last time my car was on the dyno it was super humid and hot but today it was 54 degrees with super low humidity. That being said the dyno does correct for that somewhat. Last time the dyno added an additional 3% across the curve to account for the poor weather and since today was better than "ideal" it only read 97% of its actual power. However with only changing the mid pipe I went from 403rwhp and 394rwtrq to 420rwhp and 408rwtrq! The gains were across the entire curve and boost was up from 10.10 pounds to 12! Same dyno and that was the only change. Now one could never tell how much the weather helped and how much the mid pipe helped but I would say the off road mid pipe against the catted x pipe gave me at least 8rwhp. For buying it off craigslist for cheap I would say that is a steal!