Blowing smoke/oil out the pcv valve location on valve cover. What is wrong?

5spd GT

"the 5.0 owns all"
Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
Arkansas
My buddy has a got a 2002 GT with a Procharger.

After the install about a week later he went to get on it and heard a knock. The tune was off...

Now every now and then oil/coolant (water) come out of the exhaust pipes and what we noticed today was he had a lot of "blow-by" coming out of the driver side valve cover where the pcv valve is located after we pulled it out. Oil is almost "spitting" out...and the car doesn't run quite right...

Sometimes here a knock upon start-up...

What is causing the smoke (lots) and oil to come out of that pcv valve location?

Is it a ring? Headgasket? Both?

• Sponsors (?)

you said you saw coolant/oil out of the tailpipes? if coolant is seen out of the pipes then you have a blown head gasket and or cracked heads. a bad one, i bet it runs awfull

and the excessive blow-by coming out of the pcv is also bad news. this is most likely caused by poor ring seal in a cyl or 2. coolant mixing in can cause this because that will cause a poor seal and compression will blow right by. you will feel this added pressure try to escape out and the pcv is the easiest way.

even a steady misfire can cause temporary blow-by i have seen as much as a 35 percent drop in relative compression tests just having a misfire. (the fuel not burning "washes" down the rings and the sealing becomes poor) now if the fuel from a misfire can do that imagine how bad coolant entering a cyl with enough of a leak to be seen out of the pipes.

sorry to tell you this 5 speed. but i think it's time for your friend to consider a new motor.

5spd GT said:
My buddy has a got a 2002 GT with a Procharger.

After the install about a week later he went to get on it and heard a knock. The tune was off...

Now every now and then oil/coolant (water) come out of the exhaust pipes and what we noticed today was he had a lot of "blow-by" coming out of the driver side valve cover where the pcv valve is located after we pulled it out. Oil is almost "spitting" out...and the car doesn't run quite right...

Sometimes here a knock upon start-up...

What is causing the smoke (lots) and oil to come out of that pcv valve location?

Is it a ring? Headgasket? Both?

What kind of procharger?
Who installed it?
Was it dyno tuned?
How many miles on the car?
I am curious because I will be having a D-1sc going on at the end of April on my 02 GT.

dallas2002GT said:
What kind of procharger?
Who installed it?
Was it dyno tuned?
How many miles on the car?
I am curious because I will be having a D-1sc going on at the end of April on my 02 GT.

It was the 8-9 psi version...ds1?

55,000 miles on it

It wasn't dyno tuned, that was the problem. Just had a mail order chip on it that came from another guys 02 gt that had it on his car.

We installed it:)

Don't regret your decision...just get it dyno tuned. Pretty easy install with a couple buddies. Good Luck!

5spd GT said:
It was the 8-9 psi version...ds1?

55,000 miles on it

It wasn't dyno tuned, that was the problem. Just had a mail order chip on it that came from another guys 02 gt that had it on his car.

We installed it:)

Don't regret your decision...just get it dyno tuned. Pretty easy install with a couple buddies. Good Luck!

what are you guys building up to replace this motor?

Oil spewing out of the PCV hole sounds deffinately like bad rings in atleast one cylender and you pressurizing the crankcase. I had it so bad in one car that oil would come out the top of the dip stick.

Beaware of the coollent coming out the tail pipes, my buddy just lost a 408 to a bad head gasket, hydrostatic lock up= 2 shattered pistons and rings, one snapped rod and a blown cylender wall = expensive anchor.

Not to mention that excessive moisture in the beginning part of the exhaust can ruin your O2's, or at least it did on older cars.

Well what exactly could have caused the rings to go bad with a bad tuned supercharger. Just detonation?

It won't really even stay started. You have to start it over and over...and finally it will stay on...

I'm sure the 42lb injectors have something to do with it...

Kind of an update, (progress has been slow), but the spark plugs were pulled. Almost every singe one of the spark plug gaps were closed...and one was broken and twisted (the electrode) but still connected...

What would cause this? Excess psi in the combustion chamber?

He says he sees up to 12psi (I'm not entirely sure how accurate the guages are though...)...

Anyone?