Blue's New Project. 1990 Gt..... 1989 Gt????

I got the rear out of the 88 and into the 90GT. I think the 3.73 with the 4l80 will work better than the t-5 did. I know it isn't much of a difference but I am going to put the 3.55 rear into my 88 notch this weekend. It is leaking slowly so I am going to crack it open while I have it out first to drain it and reseal it and drop in some fresh fluid.

I wish I had the time to swap in the 5 lug axles before I put the rear in but I was running out of daylight and I needed to get it back on the ground. I have it all snugged in there for now. I need to replace/repair some things so I will get back under there when I get time and torque everything down. I really want to start cleaning the engine bay and under carriage soon. Next I can prep the inner fenders and start filling the holes and putting in the new panels. I need to see what the price is on some 18 or 16 ga material first to determine if it is worth while to buy SRP's.

• Sponsors (?)

So it is a cool 109 today so I thought I would get outside while it was cool out.

The rear was leaking a little on the 88 vert so I pulled the diff cover off. I noticed the tag said 27 on it and the first number was slightly blocked by the bolt. I was told this car had 3.55 on it. But, I was also told the 90gt had 4.10's on it. Nope it came with 2.73s.

Well, sure enough I got the cover off and found the tag said 3.27. I turned the axles and when I thought I had 3.55 I actually have a 3.27 in it. Now, I am not entirely pissed off as the 3.27 will work nice with the t-5 but I didn't get what I paid for in the end at all. I even gave the guy the auto from the vert as that was what we agreed to. My fault for thinking this guy knew what he was talking about and had. So, clean up started. Thinking while I have this out I might as well weld up the axle tubes. Any objections to this? It isnt a track car but one of those 'while it is out'deals. Scrub it up a little bit and rattle can it.

The bushings were shot and I am guessing the PO didn't take advantage of the zirc fittings. Actually one LCA is missing a fitting altogether. Missing the notch so I need to get these little things taken care of and get the AC charged.

diff cover.jpeg
tag.jpeg

I just wish it was progress on the gt for which this thread was named.

I guess I shouldnt be shocked the rearend isnt what they said it should be. I drove over an hour to get both cars from the get go after making the deal a few days prior. I was told both cars would all be out and ready to go when I got there. They werent. Oh well I got a good deal on them regardless. I have decided against the advice on here and I am going to buy some flat stock to redo the front inner fenders. I want to do this thing on a budget overall and buying scott rod panels arent in this budget.