Brand/Weight Oil?

hey i am finally ready to turn over my reman'd motor wit 0 miles(never seen fliuds) i cant wait..just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what kind of oil i should use in it for the initial break in. i live in portland, or and its always about 25-45 degrees outside.
any suggestion welcome.

• Sponsors (?)

10w30 Valvoline or Mobil 1...drain it and put on a new filter at 500 miles and then drain it again and filter at 1500...run a full 3000 miles, drain and new filter...fill with Mobil 1 Synthetic (if you want and can afford) or stick with the conventional Valvoline or Mobil 1.

I think there should be a book on this subject :rlaugh:

Pretty much what Stinger said is the way to go except I wouldn't use Valvoline. This is where the book part comes in, some oils are made using detergants which in time cause the motor to cake up with crud. I think the oils you want to use are made using Vegtiable oil. It's some weird mixture and way more technical but thats the only way I know how to half way explain it. The only oils I can think of off the top of my head is Castrol and Moble. These both make a synthetic oils also that is a lot easier on a motor or time. Now don't use a synthetic oil to break in a motor unless dirrected that you can. I'm not sure but I think they may have a new way of honeing a block out so the rings seat even in synthetic oil but don't quote me.

book i was just reading said to break in your engine with non-synthetics because the synthetic oil has so little friction that your rings will not seat or seal properly... but after the break in time u definitely want synthetic oil if u are building your engine for high performance... one of the guys on engine master's web site said, "if you are still using mineral based oil in your high performance engine then you haven't done your homework"

cheers,
eric.

alienfreakboi said:
book i was just reading said to break in your engine with non-synthetics because the synthetic oil has so little friction that your rings will not seat or seal properly... but after the break in time u definitely want synthetic oil if u are building your engine for high performance... one of the guys on engine master's web site said, "if you are still using mineral based oil in your high performance engine then you haven't done your homework"

cheers,
eric.

Well said :nice:

I knew there had to be a book on this topic :D