Buy/Sell car via Pay-Pal

SVT32VDOHC

waiting for the next hack atta
Founding Member
Nov 22, 2001
Motor City
Might list a car on Ebay tonight. I almost just want to have them Pay-Pal me the whole thing. I know there is a fee, but at least I know it's guaranteed. The most I've ever received through PP was just under 400 bucks. What's the percentage though?? :shrug:

I also could say send me a cashier check, and I wait til it clears before I call you and tell you to send the freight truck. Curious of the pay pal way though.

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure but to be honest my mom had issues with a LOT less money and paypal. She bought some UGZ for my sister and when they came they were ripped. My mom went back and forth for a long time to try and get her money back. We're talking less than a couple hundred dollars here. Paypal is usually a good way to do things, but scammers can get around almost anything these days.

Thanks 25th. I did some diggin on PP's site. Looks like 3,000-10,000 dollars is a 2.9% fee +0.30 USD.

I would rather pay a couple hundred bucks PP fees +125.00 Ebay listing fee to have the money guaranteed. I want to avoid the scammers and their games. I have got many scam emails already just from Autotraders site.

Yup I dealt with all the scam crap when I listed my Audi, waste of time when you get the calls and emails...

They they make me mad too. Some, you know they are a scam before you even open the email, but others look normal, then you open and find they are gonna pay you 9,000 for a 6,000 dollar car....:rolleyes:

I listed my car on craigslist the other day. I get an Email response that simply asked if it was still available. I replied and said yes and encouraged him to come check it out. Everything seems normal.

The next Email he wants to pay me my asking price plus a couple hundred more, sight unseen, and that he's sending a payment, but needs all my personal info.

:rlaugh: I don't think so

The monopolistic eBay will soon only allow payments on their site via PayPal, discounting the fact that checks, money orders, and cashier's checks have worked for hundreds of years of mankind's bartering activities. So stupid.

/rant

They they make me mad too. Some, you know they are a scam before you even open the email, but others look normal, then you open and find they are gonna pay you 9,000 for a 6,000 dollar car....:rolleyes:

It's funny I either got offered $20K for a $16K car and it was a scam, or got a real call and was offered site unseen $9-10K for a $16K car. What happened to people coming, driving, and buying cars???

I listed my car on craigslist the other day. I get an Email response that simply asked if it was still available. I replied and said yes and encouraged him to come check it out. Everything seems normal.

The next Email he wants to pay me my asking price plus a couple hundred more, sight unseen, and that he's sending a payment, but needs all my personal info.

:rlaugh: I don't think so

SAME ONE I GOT!!! 200 more, then another 1500 for shipping, so, 8500, to 8700 then 10,200 total for eveything, but I have to cash his check and ship the car the same day!!! HAHA yeah right!

The monopolistic eBay will soon only allow payments on their site via PayPal, discounting the fact that checks, money orders, and cashier's checks have worked for hundreds of years of mankind's bartering activities. So stupid.

/rant

Pay Pal is great. I'm scared of getting any kind of check nowadays.

Its scary..isnt this the Latest scam?That they send you a Bogus Cashier check and then you get burned at the Bank ,and have to pay it back?

Yes....you have to have that amount in your account to back it. So they will cash it, and if you spend it then the check bounces...you're screwed BIG TIME. Not only do you have to repay the check, but you have MANY fees too.

It's funny I either got offered $20K for a $16K car and it was a scam, or got a real call and was offered site unseen $9-10K for a $16K car. What happened to people coming, driving, and buying cars???

+1. I'm asking 8,500....I got offered 5K cash, sight unseen from Craigslist. I don't even reply to those. Then I get offered 10K+ through Emails...I mean scammers.

/rant

Nice way to double dip. They charge you for the auction, and then they force you to be paid via paypal so when you try to take your money out...they charge you again! Honestly...how much more money does Ebay need!

Ebay is starting to suck. It used to be cool like 5-7 years ago.

Before you know it...they will be charging you to buy

Nice way to double dip. They charge you for the auction, and then they force you to be paid via paypal so when you try to take your money out...they charge you again! Honestly...how much more money does Ebay need!

Ebay is starting to suck. It used to be cool like 5-7 years ago.

Before you know it...they will be charging you to buy

+1
Those exorbatant flat rate shipping fees is what gets me, you have to take that into account when you buy something from eBay.

Then sometimes you can go to the sellers real website off of eBay and the shipping is fair. And I know they're trying to make a profit from shipping since eBay/paypal don't charge for shipping, but I wouldnt be surprised if they start charging for that.

you guys ever hear of E check i am waiting for one to clear before i send an item .will paypal cover the amount if the check bounces?

an electronic check? yeah i've used them to pay bills and such all the time. it's just like a check only without the paper...the amount pulls directly from the checking account via the bank's routing number and of course account number.

I'll tell you all a funny story about my coupe.

List it for sale here on stangnet. 2 days later get an e-mail from some kid saying he wants it and will pay full asking price.

I don't believe him, call him a scammer, good bye. Guy e-mails me his phone number and says to call him. I'm interested and ready to tell this guy off, so i call.

He is a nice dude, from CT so i figure at least i could beat his ass if he tries to scam me cause he's not to far.

Long story short, he paypal's me money for the car, PLUS adds extra for the paypal fee so i got FULL asking price for my coupe. He arranged for the car to be picked up at my house and delivered to him. Never saw the guy, he never saw the car until it got to him.

Turns out 25th knew him :rlaugh: still it stunk of "scam" all over it. but the deal worked out!

When I purchased my 2000 Saleen, I did a wire transfer between banks. You do not have to wait for funds to clear and you are protected from the bank itself. It is quick and easy and I sent over 20,000 dollars and there was only a $10 flat fee. It is a great service. Just ask your bank rep. about it.

I'll tell you all a funny story about my coupe.

List it for sale here on stangnet. 2 days later get an e-mail from some kid saying he wants it and will pay full asking price.

I don't believe him, call him a scammer, good bye. Guy e-mails me his phone number and says to call him. I'm interested and ready to tell this guy off, so i call.

He is a nice dude, from CT so i figure at least i could beat his ass if he tries to scam me cause he's not to far.

Long story short, he paypal's me money for the car, PLUS adds extra for the paypal fee so i got FULL asking price for my coupe. He arranged for the car to be picked up at my house and delivered to him. Never saw the guy, he never saw the car until it got to him.

Turns out 25th knew him :rlaugh: still it stunk of "scam" all over it. but the deal worked out!

HAHA, I find that kind of funny, merely because maybe 6 months ago (could be more now) that same guy was selling some parts I needed. I sent him messages on the website he was selling them on (a few of them), his Myspace page and I even got his number again and called him a few times. I heard nothing back from him ever again. Friends of his said he kind of fell off the face of the earth, which is wierd. I wanted the parts...

Not sure what he's been up to, or if he even still owns the car.