Buying An Ed Curtis Cam

Status
Not open for further replies.

PakstinN

Jul 17, 2014
So for Christmas my parents told me they would by a custom camshaft for me to help me complete my 306. I would like to begin the process of getting this cam but I’m not sure how to get ahold of ed Curtis to give him all the details of my setup. I believe I found where to buy them but I’m not 100% sure. Anyone have experience with these cams? What about a link I can use to get ahold of Ed himself?

• Sponsors (?)

You fill out the information form and he does what he does. I found Ed's communication to be less than satisfactory, but his cam does perform as expected. He has a great reputation, but Don't expect a lot in the way of talk. He only does email, no phone calls.

Joe

Reactions: 2 users
You fill out the information form and he does what he does. I found Ed's communication to be less than satisfactory, but his cam does perform as expected. He has a great reputation, but Don't expect a lot in the way of talk. He only does email, no phone calls.

Joe
So you fill the form out right after checkout and he sends you the cam in a few weeks?

Perhaps I was lucky. I found him to be extremely responsive and helpful, including multiple phone calls even a 30+ minute talk through on checking rocker and lifter installation the first time around, but that was a long time ago.

Just fill out his form and if anything else needs to be discussed, email is certainly the best way to run a 1-man shop.

I like Ed, I have a great amount of respect for the results he has gotten people, but I'm not crazy about "fill out a form and I'll send you a cam".
So, I would be very detailed on the very last part of that form titled "goals/expectations". This is where you are going to tell him what elevation you live at, what type of gas you plan on running, what you expect for driveability - cold start, idle, low rpm cruise, low rpm acceleration, mid range, off throttle coasting, cruising rpm, mpg concerns, vacuum requirements etc etc... Basically, imagine you are going out to fire up the car, and tell him everything you expect it to act like on your drive to school/work/girlfriends or out acting foolish.
If you are going to go custom, then take the opportunity to be as detailed and realistic as you can be to get the most out of your experience.
Oh, make sure to request valve spring requirements/recommendations as well... or, order a spring kit at the same time...

Reactions: 1 users
I also dealt with Ed via email and by filling out a sheet. I filled it out of what I was looking for in a long paragraph and he delivered. I emailed questions later and even a year or so later about upgrading the heads. I really don't blame him for having a business moto the way it is, you can't talk to everyone on the phone and still make money at work. You can do that via email though, plus that eliminates the time wasters that never buy anything.

Scott

Reactions: 3 users
Pros and cons of Austemper vs Billet cam when selecting a custom cam?

Probably best answered by cam grinder, but my understanding is that the billet holds up much better with today's aggressive ramp rates. Durations and lift may be kept reasonable for a particular need, bit lobes are much more aggresive this day and age.

My Ed Curtis cam is only 227/235, but has over .600" of lift and decently aggressive ramps with 400lbs of open pressure on the springs.

Joe

Billet for high spring pressures and high rpm, otherwise no need to venture past austemper.
My Dad's custom, and my first custom are/were both austemper with hydro lifters and 6200rpm life... 140lbs/350lbs-ish springs.
My current is billet, solid roller and pretty good street springs... 210lbs/520lbs.

Joe

I am glad I am not alone on this. His communication was so unsatisfactory that I couldn't go ahead with the transaction. My questions and concerns could have been addressed in less than 60 seconds, but I couldn't even get a reply email from him. Curtis seems so hit or miss. He goes all out sending free springs to some people at random, and then other people can't even get a response from him. His grinds are also very atypical. Also hit or miss. Some cars perform really well, and others are total dogs. He also had the nerve to give me :poo: on 5.0hardcore.com because I wouldn't pay him the $350 before he responded to my email. It all worked out in the end though. I ended up with a custom cam from Comp that can't be beat.

Kurt

I tried on multiple occasions to get a conversation started with Ed. First by filling out his form. Not once was a reply recieved. I came to the conclusion that he was unable to address my unique build and thus choose to not reply. I think a n/a build within certain parameters is within his talents. Outside of that he just ignors requests. I know of no other reason for silence on his part, so I am left to assume my reasons. It would have been nice to get at least a "sorry, I can't help you" reply. Obviously, he has his own reasons for conducting his business this way, but it is beyond me.

I think if he spent as much time responding to emails as he did to posting political conspiracy theories he might get more business. That dude used to dump 5 posts all from TheBlaze at a time on the talk sections.

Kurt

Ok. Wait a sec... How many customers here actually ran an Ed C cam and were unhappy with their results?

*Crickets* *crickets* *crickets*

Maybe there's a guy or two out there, but if we polled his actual customers, I'd put money on the fact that his satisfaction, and return customers, rating would be among the highest in the business.

Reactions: 4 users
I like Ed, I have a great amount of respect for the results he has gotten people, but I'm not crazy about "fill out a form and I'll send you a cam".
So, I would be very detailed on the very last part of that form titled "goals/expectations". This is where you are going to tell him what elevation you live at, what type of gas you plan on running, what you expect for driveability - cold start, idle, low rpm cruise, low rpm acceleration, mid range, off throttle coasting, cruising rpm, mpg concerns, vacuum requirements etc etc... Basically, imagine you are going out to fire up the car, and tell him everything you expect it to act like on your drive to school/work/girlfriends or out acting foolish.
If you are going to go custom, then take the opportunity to be as detailed and realistic as you can be to get the most out of your experience.
Oh, make sure to request valve spring requirements/recommendations as well... or, order a spring kit at the same time...

I feel exactly the way you do . I have huge respect for him . But when it came to him not answering me two different times it was time to look else where . Nick @84Ttop put me on to Freezy . From the minute I spoke to him it was like talking to someone I was friends with for 5 years . We spoke for a day or two through text until he finally got all my Info and ground me a cam . On top of that being he's local to me his customer service and support isnsecond to none . He's helped me at the track numerous times and also will text or take interest in your car to help with progression in anyway he can . Just my experience though .

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.