• Other set up

Votes: 21 67.7%

• Total voters

Strype

Cuthbert catcher
Founding Member
May 11, 1999
Huntsvegas, AL
Okay guys I have the $$$ now seriously, what is the best set of heads to buy that are a direct bolt on :shrug:

I don't want to shell out over $2000 for AFR 165's either... say the $1200 range, What cam to go with it, and rockers also
I was thinking GT40X heads with a B cam and 1.7 rockers... is there a better set up for the money?

thanx guys (and gal) :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Stripey, I got my GT40X 303's for $989, Paired with a TFS Stage 1 cam, heres a pic of them installed.

GT40.JPG

Yup that too! but anyhow, whatever heads you choose, Im sure you will see a nice gain in power, I wouldnt waste money with ported e7's or those cast iron world heads, if your going to spend that much money spend a little extra and lose a few pounds in the process.

Where the hell are you finding AFR 165s for $2000!!! :lol: I bought mine for 1249.00 shipped from Jegs. They price matched www.adperformance.com and then they have the "free shipping" (8.95 handling). Either those or TF Twisted Wedge for a little less. Just make sure if you DO go AFR that the dealer has them in stock and isn't taking your money, sending the order to AFR... then 3 months later you get your heads.

Nick

PoopDawg said:
Where the hell are you finding AFR 165s for $2000!!! :lol: I bought mine for 1249.00 shipped from Jegs. They price matched www.adperformance.com and then they have the "free shipping" (8.95 handling). Either those or TF Twisted Wedge for a little less. Just make sure if you DO go AFR that the dealer has them in stock and isn't taking your money, sending the order to AFR... then 3 months later you get your heads.

Nick

The catalog I was looking at said 1200 "ea" :lol:

I assumed- Mustangs Unlimited catalog

Are those a direct bolt on to a motor with only 63k :shrug:
What rockers & cam with those ?

You can get pedestal rocker mounts for 165s, so your 1.7s will work fine. Cam, I would say custom.. but i know that's expensive. Something with less then 230 degree duration @ .050 and .550 lift. Maybe a Comp Cams 274HR.. seems like a great cam.

As far as 165s being a waste of money? Check out MM&FF's dyno comparison done a few years ago, putting all the SBF heads against each other. The first group compared the Ford heads and AFRs against all other entry level heads, and the 165s SMOKED them ALL. And I believe 30 or 40 hp over the aluminum Ford heads. :owned:

PoopDawg said:
As far as 165s being a waste of money? Check out MM&FF's dyno comparison done a few years ago, putting all the SBF heads against each other. The first group compared the Ford heads and AFRs against all other entry level heads, and the 165s SMOKED them ALL. And I believe 30 or 40 hp over the aluminum Ford heads. :owned:

Well since my car doesnt run in a dyno chamber and it runs on the street thats worthless.

IMO, get the TFS twisted wedge track heat heads. and the TFS stage 1 cam. you will have a total of 1266.95 for the heads (complete, assembled) and 159.95 for the cam. or if you have the extra cash, get the entire trickflow top end kit for it for 2,249.00 at summit. im all about matching components because ive seen too many people throw non-matching parts on a motor, and not get out of it what they expect.

also, alphabet cams are ok, but if youre doing this, i would do it right and get a custom cam or one that matches the setup.