Bypass P/S 93 2.3

Hey guys, I saw a thread when I searched but it was never determined indefinitely. Is it possible to bypass the pump and run it without and still have a belt to run the alt? It's not about power or horsepower benefits. It's about needing to drive the car for a lack of better option. 1993 2.3 lx manual. Thanks in advance. Will check back on the hour as it's time sensitive for a job.....

• Sponsors (?)

So judging by 25 views or so (and no replies) is there no way this can be accomplished? I just don't want the thing sitting anymore than it needs to. I can start it all day and let it run in the driveway but I need to be able to drive it down the road to avoid the city giving me a bunch of sh*t for it....

Well I'll jump in here with similar experience, only V8 but same principle.
If I understand this, if you want to put a shorter belt on to eliminate the ps pump you probably could take a string and wrap the pulleys like a belt then measure the string, I cannot comment on +/- I don't know the 4cyl belt drive so I don't know about the tensioner and it's effect, you keep the pump mounted but you can cruise the neighborhood scaring old people and children. :jester:

So judging by 25 views or so (and no replies) is there no way this can be accomplished? I just don't want the thing sitting anymore than it needs to. I can start it all day and let it run in the driveway but I need to be able to drive it down the road to avoid the city giving me a bunch of sh*t for it....
I'm not sure I understand - why do you need to bypass the pump to drive the car? The pump is less than $100, even with shipping...

You can rent the pulley remover from Autozone for free. A new belt is going to cost you 40-50 bucks alone, so you really don't save much.

If it is leaking, then just let the fluid out and cap the rack. It's going to be hard to turn, but you already know that.

I'm not sure I understand - why do you need to bypass the pump to drive the car? The pump is less than $100, even with shipping...

You can rent the pulley remover from Autozone for free. A new belt is going to cost you 40-50 bucks alone, so you really don't save much.

If it is leaking, then just let the fluid out and cap the rack. It's going to be hard to turn, but you already know that.
Na it's not leaking, the I pump is bad and I can't find a bypass kit. I already replaced it and the rack once. I just won't have time anytime soon to replace it again so was gunna bypass it for the meantime.

I think it would be cheaper and easier to just replace the pump, unfortunately. You can run the high pressure line back into the rack to cap it, but the pump will still be spinning so I imagine there will be a danger of it locking up since it will not be lubricated.

Reactions: 1 user
yep
take the pump off, figure out how to make a separate bracket that bolts to the ps bracket. Then on your newly made bracket, put a pulley on it that will allow you to run the belt around it.

On the lines/hoses, connect them together after steering the car back and forth a few times. Make sure to catch the fluid that runs out. Just put a piece of hose between them and put some clamps on each end.

You will have twice the steering effort of an old Ford pickup truck with flat front tires. Seriously, you will get a big workout trying to turn the car. It is not fun! And in the end you will have to buy a new rack too. The rack power assist cylinder needs lubrication from the fluid. Without lubricant it wears the bores and will begin to leak. So not only will you have to replace the pump, but also the rack and possibly the lines-at the least the plastic seal at the end of the pressure line. Plus you will have to buy an idler pulley, some metal to make a bracket, your time spent making it all work, and probably a belt too. By time it's all said and done it's cheaper to go to the parts store and get a reman pump. Also get the pulley removal tool. The chincanese tool isn't $20 and you will need it. Or rent it at the power steering pump store.