C4 Shifter Lever

I finished putting a B&M gate shifter in a 1973 mustang that works really well except for the bolt in the middle of the shift lever leaks and there is no way to tighten a nut on it. In other words, put a new oring in and put the washer and nut on the bolt but cannot tighten it because it spins freely and I do not have a kickdown anymore. What is the solution to this and there used to be a rod that attaches to the transmission that is hooked into the steering/ignition that controls the turning of the key (being able to take the key out) that is not there anymore, can you bypass it or does the rod have to be installed? I'm new to these mustangs and installed the shifter no problem, just trying to figure out what to do with the other stuff that is may or may not be needed to get this transmission working properly. Thanks for anyone's help!

• Sponsors (?)

Not clear on your actual problem , but I think what you are saying is the nut on the shifter shaft on the trans is stripped, if that is the case you need to replace the shifter shaft. As for the key lock, you can tie up the tab on the column that the rod used to attach to, or hit the junk yards and try and find the original rod. IF it were mine I'd tie it up.

Right, it's just easier to tie it up. The nut is not stripped, the bolt coming out of the shifter shaft just spins freely so cannat tighten a nut when you put it on it. I don't need the kickdown anymore and was just trying to tighten the nut to the bolt to prevent it from leaking fluid, the o ring is in good shape its just weird that you cannot tighten that bolt