CA legal headers?

chaos254

Founding Member
Jul 27, 2002
NJ
Looks like I'm going to end up in CA, so what headers will allow me to pass smog? I saw that the edelbrock headers are 50 state legal but they cost $360 for ceramic coated. I was planning on getting the BBK headers since they were cheaper and included a new egr pipe which I need to buy anyways. It doesn't look like they are CARB legal though. Any help? thanks

• Sponsors (?)

EGR

Correct me if I am wrong but for years where there is suppose to be an EGR hooked up, in order to be smog legal, you have to have the EGR hooked up and working properly. So as long as the headers have an EGR hookup on the Passenger side header, then they should be considered smog legal. I got MAC equals and am smog legal in CA.

Depending on where you get smogged at, you may get hassled if ANYTHING in your engine bay doesn't look stock. Doesn't matter if it's legal or not, most "techs" at the smog check places wouldn't know their left hand from their right. I had one guy hassle me for my PAINTED VALVE COVERS, and completely missed the adjustable FPR (which is illegal). In the end, he tested me and passed me. I have since found a smog place that DOES know their stuff and I don't have problems now.

Heh, that's a story in itself. I went to get smogged at the current place, and the guy asked me about the Goodyear blue hoses I had. I presumed he thought they weren't legal, so I started arguing with him. He replied "I know they're legal, I want to get a set for my Toyota. Do you know if they (Goodyear) makes em?"

*blink* *blink*

Sadly (for him) they don't, but that impressed me enough. Even better, they got a guy working there now that owns a 95 Cobra. :nice: I've invited him here, but he doesn't get online much.

Depending on where you get smogged at, you may get hassled if ANYTHING in your engine bay doesn't look stock. Doesn't matter if it's legal or not, most "techs" at the smog check places wouldn't know their left hand from their right. I had one guy hassle me for my PAINTED VALVE COVERS, and completely missed the adjustable FPR (which is illegal). In the end, he tested me and passed me. I have since found a smog place that DOES know their stuff and I don't have problems now.

Heh, that's a story in itself. I went to get smogged at the current place, and the guy asked me about the Goodyear blue hoses I had. I presumed he thought they weren't legal, so I started arguing with him. He replied "I know they're legal, I want to get a set for my Toyota. Do you know if they (Goodyear) makes em?"

*blink* *blink*

Sadly (for him) they don't, but that impressed me enough. Even better, they got a guy working there now that owns a 95 Cobra. :nice: I've invited him here, but he doesn't get online much.
Hell, the guy that I go to just puts the damn sniffer on, and then did his visual afterwards. He really didnt care much since it passed the sniffer the first time I went to him.
However, when the wife's egr was f'd, and the CEL was on, he offered to "help me pass" the test. :D

i have the fms shorties..the stainless steel version non coated and they are not polished so the have the stocklike color it passes the sniffer and the guy didnt even notice them..even with the little crome fms tag